PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' a new Nano.. & Limestripe Goby??

Waterbabi9
01/16/2006, 09:00 PM
Finally got word from the LFS that JBJ is replacing my scratched 24gal Nano from Xmas and sending a new one, post "thick-glass" production. :-) With any luck it should be here sometime next week; will be looking for a place that carries the cabinet stand in the meantime and then I can get going. Thus far I plan to keep it very simple, except for replacing the stock pump and possibly doing the surface skimmer mod. I've got the "live" sand (sealed bag) and am working on exact calcs for LR (how much rubble + Fiji = 25 lbs). I'm excited and nervous all at the same time! :-)

On a separate tangent, I saw one of the tiniest marine aquaria fish while browsing the store: a Lime Stripe Goby. Has anyone seen these? They are absolutely miniscule, maybe 3/4" but very much a goby! These in particular were in with some clown gobies and another fish that dwarfed them but were perfectly at ease. One of the guys there said they were perfectly suited to nanos, and could even be kept with certain shrimps with no problem ((I'd have thought invertebrates would consider them a snack)! Don't know if I'd be interested in having one... Seems it would eventually become a $20 figment of your imagination. ;-)

Fishfreak218
01/16/2006, 09:08 PM
you might me green banded goby i dont know maybe a green Clown Goby
here is a link to a pickl of a green Clown Goby:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=159

and here is the green banded goby:
http://aquaticphotos.com/data/thumbnails/14/goby_2460sm.jpg

anyway click on the picture in my signature to look at my tank and see my pico reef another good nanofish is the Yellow Clown Goby, i love mine so far and i have him with 2 shrimps

rbrice020378
01/18/2006, 10:37 AM
My LFS had one in a 40gal display with other tiny gobies like that. The guy who set up the tank at the shop has moved on to greenier pastures. When he did they broke down his tank. Long story short I now have that Lime Stripe Goby. I keep it in a 12gal JBJ with a pair of ocellarius clowns and a porceline crab. The tank is full of corals. When this goby was in the 40gal at the shop I think I saw him twice in 4-5 months. Now that he is in my 12gal I see him all the time. He does hide from time to time but will often come out to play and let you know he is still around.

Waterbabi9
01/18/2006, 11:49 AM
FishFreak: Yes, that's him! The Green-banded Goby (guess the name varies, as with many things). I do like the look of the Clown Goby, though. What's their personality and care like?

Rbrice: Good to hear that the little guy actually makes an appearance quite often in a Nano setting. I'm not sold on them yet, though I do want A goby of some kind; wonder what he'd be like in a 24gal... How does he do with the Porcelain Crab and how long have they been in there together? The LFS said most shrimps would be fine and not bother him but crabs were much more questionable... Which is why I leaned away from them at that point. I was pretty certain I wanted a Porcelain or PomPom Crab at some point.

flsandwoman
01/24/2006, 11:51 PM
I have a 12g Nano Cube. I have 3 gobies - yellow watchman, flame & small neon. I was later told you shouldn't have multiple gobies in a small tank, but them are doing fine together. I also have a red-booted shrimp. I'm moving up to a 24g, but still love gobies. Anyone know if I can add another goby (e.g. green banded) or jawfish? I'd also like to add a small clown/anemone once the 24g is set up.