PDA

View Full Version : Why dose limewater with Randy's recipe?

Ralistin
01/16/2006, 07:26 PM
I see that some folks dose limewater while even using Randy's 2 part recipe. I am curious why this is. At least in my case the recipe seems to have stabilized my Ph dramatically. I used to swing about 3-4 points in a 24 hour period but in the last day I only had a .06 swing.

Since calcium is good and Ph is stable I personally don't see the need for limewater. Is there something else I should know or is it just that everyone has different scenarios that require limewater?

steve the plumb
01/17/2006, 02:17 AM
i dose the kalk because I don't get enogh fresh air in the room to give me a higher ph.The kalk gives me a nice ph level.I just started dosing randys alk andcal formula on a daily basis.I have found the alk gives me a higher dkh 9 compared to 8 8.6(this was depending on the amount of kalk used and I was forced to use more kalk to maitain higher levels)The alk formula made it easier to maintain higher level all the time .The calcium part was fine I decided to dose that because I had the dosing unit.Cal levels are maintained at 460 ppm.I can lower them if I want but I prefer them high.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/17/2006, 12:11 PM
If the two part works for you, then there is little reason to use something else, IMO. :)

However, limewater may be easier to automate for long periods. Mine often runs on autopilot for 1-2 weeks while I'm on vacation. I could do that with a two part with another pump, but I need auto top off anyway, so it is not hard to use limewater in it.