PDA

View Full Version : Neptune Aqua-controller III

BJJ
01/16/2006, 04:29 PM
Anyone using the Aqua-controller III (non Pro) along with the Aquanotes datalogging software. I looking at connecting this to a spare PC. Any thoughts on the performance? and ease of use.

Also I was wondering if it is possible to connect a "flood alert" type of device or even a level switch (for in the sump) to one of the imputs of the controller so that I can be sent an Email notifying me of an upset condition.

cyclgrl
01/16/2006, 04:46 PM
I have a AC2. I have a water alarm connected through the external input switch so you can definitely do it that way.

BJJ
01/16/2006, 05:07 PM
CYCLGRL,

How does the water alram connect to the AC2? Did you have to modify anything or was it just a matter of plugging the alert in?

I am trying to get a sense of how easy / versitile the Aqua-controller is.

cyclgrl
01/16/2006, 05:17 PM
I use this water alarm:

http://www.smarthome.com/7160.HTML

You can buy extra sensor parts along with it to place in different places around the tank. I have one inside my stand and right outside.

Basically, it will need to be connected to the external switch sensors of the AC and the AC can be set to send an alarm if the switch is closed. That's not that big of a deal in itself. For me, it was a bit more complicated since I needed to use the serial port for my laptop (that's where the external switch input is), but that's probably not an issue with the AC3 since it has multiple external switch inputs.

BJJ
01/16/2006, 05:53 PM
Great... Just realized that the AC works very much like your standard home alarm system.

Thanks for the info

Budman912
01/16/2006, 07:00 PM
Cyclgrl,
I have the AC II also. I have it permanently hooked up to my pc through the serial port. How did you end up connecting your floatswitch? Did you open the end of the serial connection with the screws and hook into the wires that way or did you try something else? I almost wish I coughed up the extra money and got the AC III, but I'm going broke with spending money in my tank!!

cyclgrl
01/16/2006, 07:08 PM
Yes, I spliced the end with the screws and soldered the right connections. There's one additional connection to be made because of the ground loop isolator (which Curt told me about).

Budman912
01/16/2006, 11:09 PM
Can you tell me exactly how to splice it in. I just bought the ground loop isolator as my ORP reading was wacky.

cyclgrl
01/17/2006, 12:28 AM
Here are the instructions I got from Curt:

To access the external switch pins in our controller serial cable, open the DB9 end. The external switch out wire is connected to pin 8 (brown wire) and the external switch signal is unconnected (color depends on particular batch of serial cables). Wires must be attached to these wires and then connected to an external float switch or other dry contact device.

If you ever install an isolator (SERIPC9), then you will also need to have the brown wire connected pin 8 as well as the external switch.

Budman912
01/17/2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks Cyclgrl. I will probably tackle that this weekend. It's taken me more time to set up the AC II then it did for the rest of the 210g tank!