PDA

View Full Version : dsb or bb

Brandon's Reef
01/15/2006, 07:51 PM
I really dont want to start anything but I just got my tank cycled and I used very fine arag-alive. The rocks ended up shedding all over the sand and it is a &$(#&% to get the gunk off of the sand.

should I diligently get all of the crap off of the sand or just go bare bottom what are the advantages of doing this in a nano.

My 54 corner tank has a deep sand bed and im not worried about astetics because the bottom will be covered in mushrooms and zoanthids anyways.

THANKS,
BRANDON

kalare
01/15/2006, 09:17 PM
My suggestion is to use your best jugdment, and read some threads and decide for yourself. Asking here is just going to get you 50 different people giving you 25 for DSB and 25 for BB and at eachothers throats. My suggestion is to just do what is easiest for you to keep it clean. If you want to keep the sand clean while it sheds, go for it. If you want to take it out and siphon all the sheddings off the BB, go for it.

LeftCoast
01/15/2006, 09:23 PM
What I've heard is that DSBs aren't as useful in nanos as they are in regular tanks. It'd be mainly for asthetics in a nano.

cmondo
01/15/2006, 09:27 PM
Live sand and live rock all have filtration properties associated with them, it is beneficial to have a sandbed in your tank, as i am sure you already know.

Brandon's Reef
01/15/2006, 09:41 PM
yea but it seems more of a headache to keep the sand bed in the nano clean while im just going to be covering it with zoas anyways
Brandon

REEF-DADDY
01/15/2006, 09:43 PM
Are you keeping all sofites? If so I would keep the sand.

Brandon's Reef
01/15/2006, 09:52 PM
well no I may get my hands on some of the Acan Lords or Echinotas. Not going to be all softies, now would it still be a good idea to get rid of it.
Brandon

REEF-DADDY
01/15/2006, 10:28 PM
I have a 280g sps reef, BB. I also have a 7g nano with sand. Barebottom tanks need alot of flow to work. You have to get nutrients down before they break down. Thats hard to do in such a small package. When I set up my 280, I moved all my softies to the 7g. Most of which made the move from 55g to 125g, both mixed reefs. The only flow in the 7g is the prizm skimmer(300gph). The corals look so much better and I have been able to tailor the tank to there needs. They have reproduced at an astonishing rate and just look awesome. IMHO go with a soft coral tank and use the sand. At the end of the day you'll have a simple and gorgeous tank. My 7g blows my 280 away in terms of pure beauty.

Agu
01/15/2006, 10:48 PM
I think some sand is more pleasing to the eye, but that's jmo.

As far as it getting dirty, I like a "messy" sandbed, or at least I've convinced myself that it's OK :lol: .

Billy1234
01/16/2006, 12:20 AM
:lol: I agree with Agu, I used to be neurotic about all the 'stuff' on my sand, but I got tired of worrying about it because it drove me nuts 24/7 :p

phenom5
01/16/2006, 11:42 AM
What I've heard is that DSBs aren't as useful in nanos as they are in regular tanks. It'd be mainly for asthetics in a nano.

as i understand it, sandbeds in nanos are good at being...well, sandbeds. according to Dr Ron there is not a big enough footprint in most nanos to house an effective sandbed. the lack of real estate, combined with the edge effect makes sandbeds in small tank purely for looks.

now, i'm not trying to start a war, this is just the answer i got when i got into another discussion with some nano reefers on the DSB vs. BB topic.

my 10g is a BB SPS tank, i like the look, the combination of coraline and zoas make the bottom anything but bare. all of that said, a poorly setup BB tank can be a nightmare, so if you decide to switch to BB make sure you do your homework.

REEF-DADDY
01/16/2006, 01:07 PM
It still provides for surface area for bacteria to grow. I believe Dr. Rons statement centered on the fact that the sand bed is too small for a lot of the animals needed to really make it "alive".

Carl_in_Florida
01/16/2006, 02:32 PM
I like a little sand on the bottom but am convinced that dsb in a nano may help with stability if you never touch it and possibly disastrous if you ever mess with it.

I think we should get into a large argument and see how many people leave RC in the end.

Carl

phenom5
01/16/2006, 02:40 PM
I think we should get into a large argument and see how many people leave RC in the end.

well yeah...don't you know carl, you have to get in a Huge arguement any time the DSB vs BB topic is even mentioned...in fact, failing to do so will result in a tear in the fabric of space-time, and result in a super massive black hole that will swallow the entire universe...:D :smokin:

Carl_in_Florida
01/16/2006, 02:42 PM
Are you questioning my credentials?

phenom5
01/16/2006, 02:45 PM
Are you questioning my credentials?

sand sucks...:D

REEF-DADDY
01/16/2006, 03:42 PM
It's all a PITA. :p

Cutiewitbooty
01/16/2006, 05:31 PM
I only have and for looks, from everything I have heard a sandbed in a nano doesn't do anything, but make it look good. Why don't you get a clean up crew to take care of all the gunk on your sand bed that worked for me.