PDA

View Full Version : Decided on a NanoCube 12DX

FishWife1
01/15/2006, 03:13 PM
I've been going round and round for a couple of weeks but after pricing everything out using and AGA 10-15 gal, plus lights, plus, filter, plus surface skimmer attachment, plus ph(s), I figured the nanocube is not that much more. I went throught Drs. Smith & Foster and got the Reef Central member discount so it was $159.99.

I'm just going to do the stock thing for now except for upgrading to a Minijet 606 for the return. I looked at Nano Customs and considered going with higher lighting but since I just want softies/shrooms/polyps, 4 watts pg should be fine.

I'm a little leary of a mixed tank though I see lots of people have beautiful ones. I had a 75 mixed for several years then moved up to a 200 gal. After about a year and a half my mushrooms and other softies started attacking my lps. It wasn't pretty. By attacking I don't mean growing over them or anything, I could have fixed that. I mean releasing toxins in the water that caused formerly healthy corals to suddenly begin receeding. I spoke with Eric Borneman and he suggested that I get rid of either the softies or the hard corals. Well, getting rid of mushrooms and polyps is a lot easier said than done so I pulled all of my stonies out and gave them away. Why everything was fine for years and then suddenly wasn't, I don't understand. I guess the softies reached critical mass :eek1: . Whatever, it wasn't good. The saddest was a beautiful elegance that we got when it was about 6" across. We had it for several years and it was a good 18" across when fully extended and about 12" high. A real thing of beauty. One day I noticed some skeleton showing and it just slowly shrunk away to nothing.:(

Oh well. Anyway, we we git 'er goin' I will post some pics and tell some tales. I'm so happy to be back in this hobby.

Laurie

p.s. The obsession has already kicked in.

Genin
01/15/2006, 03:26 PM
you will not regret it. i know a lot of people post horror stories about nanocubes but i think they are awesome. my 12dx has been nothing but great!

travisurfer
01/15/2006, 03:26 PM
obsession? what obsession?jk:D

douglasnj
01/15/2006, 03:41 PM
I have the same setup for my son and we love it. I just have to keep him under control as he constantly wants to rearrange everything. You wont regret it.

FishWife1
01/15/2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah, what obsession, right....:p I've already printed out a start up list of 'shrooms and softies and I am thinking of a single purple firefish as the loan fishy. I want some sexy shrimp and a fire shrimp and some cool stars, etc. Yippee, I'm having fun already.

I think my main reason for wanting a nanocube is that when I had my other tanks I just hated seeing all the equipment in the tank. I hid things as best I could but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do all of the amazing engineering feats that so many of you are able to come up with.

The clean look of the all in one set up is just so attractive that I can't resist.

Now I just have to figure out where to put it. I don't want it in any of our carpeted areas because I am messy with reefkeeping chores and I've seen what sw can do to carpeting.

Laurie

DiverDownBrian
01/16/2006, 09:12 AM
I love my 12DX ... it's been up for about 6 months now ... corals are growing and spreading ... shrimp are molting regularly ... serpet star is a damn beast ... I couldn't be happier

JHipkin
01/17/2006, 02:56 PM
I feel the same way. They are great, especially if you are new to SW. The smaller volume is a little tricky, but the risk / reward ratio is great.

Mine has been up for three months. Stock lights still. I upgraded the pump to a MJ 1200 and replaced the output nozzle w/ a Hydro Flow. Created a refugium in the second chamber. Lots of live rock, 12# or so, and too many soft corals. I just added a pair of Clown Fish and a Randal Goby.

Still working the wife acceptance factor, "Will you stop staring at that tank and come help w/ dinner," but she is coming along.

Good luck.

djamil
01/17/2006, 04:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6506164#post6506164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Genin
you will not regret it. i know a lot of people post horror stories about nanocubes but i think they are awesome. my 12dx has been nothing but great!

Hi Genin, your signature says you got MH lighting in a 12G, Care to share the details? I'm also interested in such upgrade. Thanks

ycrazyy
01/17/2006, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6522680#post6522680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by djamil
Hi Genin, your signature says you got MH lighting in a 12G, Care to share the details? I'm also interested in such upgrade. Thanks
Check out nanotuners.com, they have some great setups for the cubes with quite a few different options.