PDA

View Full Version : Barred Zebra Gobi?

jessup420
03/29/2002, 02:07 PM
Any body kept this cute little guys? I have two, I really like them has anyone had problems with them, or had any success with breeding? Are they born male, or female, or can they switch sexes like clowns can. Any replies would be helpful.
Thanks

EdKruzel
03/30/2002, 02:34 AM
jessup420,
That's a pretty general name. Are you referring to Stonogobiops xanthorhinica?

The Hi Fin Red Banded Goby prefers a tank of at least 20 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.

The Stonogobiops xanthorhinica is a carnivore and likes to eat brine & mysid shrimp and other meaty treats (a few times/day).

Able to breed. Reef-safe. Needs places to burrow. Prefer presence of substrate. It is hearty; accepts most foods. It is passive and compatible with same or like species. It is a good reef fish. The Hi Fin Red Banded Goby is commonly collected from the Indian Ocean.

That's what the book said; my experience was with only one. I saw him twice. The day of purchase he was being checked out as the newcomer and darted for cover.
Three years later I moved and broke down the tank. To my surprise at twice the original size he had a burrow in the back corner where he was alive and well.
So with my experience, as long as they have food and feel safe they require less than 36sq''s of space.

Good Luck
Ed