PDA

View Full Version : Aquanotes 3.0 is out

ToddsReef
03/29/2002, 11:14 AM
The new aquanotes program is out and allows you to control your aquacontroller from the web (yeah baby!). I'm definitely going to get this, I know Keith and Dave M. might also be interested. If anybody else in the club has an aquacontroller and they are interested give me a call or email and we can find the best price and jump on it, as I am sure this will sell out quickly.

Todd

dmorel
03/29/2002, 11:32 AM
this is a good thing.

kmagyar
03/29/2002, 02:22 PM
What would we use a cd burner for? Hmm? Yes, I am in on this too. It looks like the only enhancement is java. Thats cool though I wish they would get a real developer to clean the progam up a bit. Its 2002 now. There are soo many other add-onns they could have developed for the SW. Need to crack it.

If I could only train my fish to write code or something...:bum:

Here is a demo of the Java front end (http://64.174.67.108/AquaNotes/index.asp)

Here is info on Aquanotes 3.0 (http://www.neptunesys.com/aquaNotes.htm)

So now I have a real excuse to network the Apt. (laptop on reef is standalone). If anyone knows where I ca get a cable router that does ipsec for under 50.00, please let me know. This could get cool real soon. I have a polycom web cam that I dont even use. I could use that on the reef too. Ill bet I could get aquanotes running on my new HP Pocket PC. Arent Gadgets cool.

ToddsReef
03/29/2002, 03:07 PM
The new version won't be available in stores until next week but I ordered it directly from Neptune today with UPS overnight shipping as I'm going to be out of town next week and it will give me great piece of mind to be able to see tank parameters at the click of the mouse. Between this and my webcam I will practically have my hand in the tank over the internet! Anyway, I'll let you know what I think tomorrow before I leave. Have a great time at the meeting and I'll be in touch.

Todd

NOTE: To all Neptune employees reading this thread, we want there to be no misunderstanding, the inferences made in this thread in regard to copying this software were obviously made in jest ;)

BCooksey
03/30/2002, 09:28 AM
Keith, If you need help running net cable let me know. I have all the toys.

sschafer
03/30/2002, 03:18 PM
If you are planning to use this software to acees your control system from outside your local network make sure your Cable/DSL router is not using a NAT address. I'm not sure about the cable system, but I know that some of the DSLAMs used in Rochester are using NATing. In this case you will not be able to access your system from the internet. Also, some of the cable systems (again not sure about Rochester) block all incoming port 80 access (HTTP web port) to prevent Denial of Service attacks like the Nimda and Code Red viruses. If you only want to access the control system from your local computer, no worries.

Steve

Dbailey2121
04/03/2002, 09:21 AM
Doh Sorry guys

KBCobra
04/03/2002, 07:36 PM
FYI:

If your cable routers using NAT most major brands (linksys, netgear,sohoware,etc) have provisioning to make specific routes to computers within the hidden network. Everything should work fine if the computer the controller is hooked up to is also the computer the adelphia/roadrunner is plugged into your all set (as long as you tell the software to use a port other than 80) - However if you want to hookup multiple computers behind one cable modem (your home pc and your controller) you will need a cable router (netgear fr314, linksys, etc) which has a built in 4 port hub in the back to plug in multiple machines on the home network. Then the device will need to be configured to "route" any packets on the inbound controller port to a specified machine (the controller machine). If any of the buffalo guys need a hand with this let me know.

FYI: What is stated above applies to most home DSL installs as well. as they usually only allow for 1 external IP (if they did allow for 2 it stands to reason that you could plug the dsl modem into a cheapo 4 port mini hub and the dhcp from the dsl providers server would work for both computers.

-Pat