PDA

View Full Version : Torchspawn? Help me decide!

anathema
03/29/2002, 02:54 AM
http://www.uninked.com/aqua/torchspawn.jpg

I bought it as a torch, it has been budding small lumps on the tentacles ever since I bought it. It had almost completely straight tentacles to begin with.

Has anyone had this happen? What would you call this coral?

All of the bumps appear to be on the inside of the tentacles, the frogspawn I have has many more, and they are all over.

Tha Sultant
03/29/2002, 03:22 AM
Weird, it has to coloration of a torch but the apperance of a frogspawn.

I would go with Frogspawn, since i've seen them come in all colors.

Not sure though...but really, who cares what it is, it looks great.

anathema
03/29/2002, 10:38 AM
The picture isn't very good.

It has green stripes going out from he mouth, and fluoresces pretty well under actinics.

The outer tentacles are straight, but as it gets closer to the mouth it starts to develop "bumps" like a frogspawn, but all of them are facing inward.

You are right, it doesn't really matter, but I feel kind of dumb when trying to tell someone what I have in my tank.

Ummm... it's one uh them thar coral animal things...

Strangelove
03/29/2002, 10:50 AM
This may sound dumb, but I have a hammer that looks almost exactly like that. The ends are a little more curved but that's the only real difference. Maybe I have a torch?

coralite
03/29/2002, 01:32 PM
Here is another one

anathema
03/29/2002, 02:08 PM
In the Bourneman book of "grape corals".

Maybe it's just the pic, what kind of lighting do you have that under, and does it eat? Mine has never accepted any food.

coralite
03/29/2002, 02:20 PM
In that pic it isnt completely expanded but it does look more or less like your pic. Its under vho and it will eat pellets and flake that fall on it but not large pieces of shrimp.

Afishianado
03/29/2002, 02:36 PM
I vote Torch.

Frogspawn just has knobby polyps, that has torchlike polyps that seem to have extra polyps growing out of the main ones. My hammer has a few like that, cool isn't it?. The structure of the polyps kind of rules out a hammer.

Just some observations and a guess. I like the color of that thing whatever it is.

Chris

anathema
03/29/2002, 02:56 PM
have any pics of the hammer? It sounds interesting.

Agu
03/29/2002, 03:40 PM
I've had a similar coral for a few years. Can't tell from the pic, is it a branching lps? Best ID of mine is a branching torch/frogspawn hybrid. Mine does best in medium flow with high vho illumination (it doesn't like my mh though:confused: ). I've fragged mine several times when it gets to about 4" in diameter, and that actually seems to stimulate growth. I've stopped fragging for a while to see how big it'll get and growth appears to have slowed. I've never observed it actually catching and eating food in the tank.

Agu

Tha Sultant
03/29/2002, 03:43 PM
I have a large hammer, a pretty good sized torch and a decent sized frog spawn.

Every torch i've seen , does not have any polyps that are growing out of each other. Torches have somewhat thing single tentacles that are smooth and even.

Maybe it's a hybrid, i mean frogs,hammers and torches are all pretty much cousins and brothers. Who knows.

anathema
03/29/2002, 03:49 PM
Next thought, I wonder how close the species are.

Yes, it is branching, and I don't know if you can tell from the pic, it is currently two heads growing apart. I keep hoping it will bud, I guess I'll just wait.

Mine is about 14" directly under 400W Radium with Actinic 2X 55PC's, and it seems to love it.

The green coloration has improved since I moved it to this lighting, and it seems to have more fluorescence also. It seems happy to me anyway, even if it's never hungry. :)

Agu
03/29/2002, 03:59 PM
Should have pointed out my mh are 400w Iwasakis, people with lower output mh are doing fine with my frags. ime, it's a pretty fast grower and buds often :D.

Agu

A mediocre pic of mine is the last pic, left of center at this link, http://www.reefcentral.com/members/agu/

Cnidae
03/29/2002, 04:32 PM
It's a Frogspawn, I have to same one. Frogspawn is just a name someone made up because they couldn’t pronounce the real name so who really cares what you call it, call it a torch if you want. I could give you the real name, but don’t have my books at work.

Strangelove
03/29/2002, 07:26 PM
Anathema,

Here's a pic:

coralite
03/29/2002, 08:07 PM
The coral I have is a branching species of euphylia. When fragged, the small buds at the base of the large polyps have more chance to get light and food and definitely grow faster in those conditions. I have seen true torches w/ one tip and true frogspawn w/ many more tips in this same color. All of the branching species are only defined by the polyp alone w/ all branching skeletons being more or less identical. This is a pic of a true torch w/ the hybrid coral in the pic for comparison.

anathema
04/01/2002, 08:39 PM
developing more and more bumps all of the sudden. Maybe it is a frogspan, it sure looked like a torch when I bought it.

Oh well. :D