PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about Finnex Tanks?

eco170
01/13/2006, 02:05 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone had anything good or bad to say about the Finnex all in one tanks that they sell at Nano tuners?

kidphc
01/13/2006, 03:05 PM
I have the old 32 gallon M-tank. The second generation one. This post is going to be long so hold on.

For the 32 gallon tank the second generation one had the following dimensions:
2nd generation
Entire Tank: 29.5" x 16" x 17.625"
Display Area: 29.5" x 12" x 17.625"
Entire sump: 29.5" x 4" x 17.625"
Skimmer Compartment: 14" x 4" x 17.625"
Baffles in Compartment: 1.5" x 4" x 17.625"
Tray Compartment: 14" x 4" x 17.625"
Included two 300gph pumps one for return other for skimmer.

3rd generation 32 gallon
- had revised sump sizes. Skimmer sump shrank in length and return sump grew. This may facilitate an in sump refuge better.
- More sump holes added to facilitate more flow through the sump.
------ 2nd gens could flow about 600 but were tested to about 400gph.
------ When I spoke to Finnex they said the 3rd generations should be tested to about 600 GPH, this was a while ago, so things may have changed.

For the 20 gallon tank:
Measurments:
Length- 24'
Width- 8" (12.5' with sump)
Height-14"

The short of it:
WORKMANSHIP:

- One of the legs for the fixture hung over a 1/4 on the left side of the tank. Not a real bother since it was clear

- The Eurobrace had some air bubbles in the glue. Don't even notice them any more

- The entire skimmer body is glued together. Cleaning it out has been fun, especially with hair algae stuck to the needle wheel.

- All other tanks seems are nice and clean

- The tank came really well packaged, it was in the origina Finnex packaging

- Acyrlic was of nice quality

THOUGHTS:

- Stock the tank is a real beauty
- The stand goes well with the tank
- The skimmer is reasonable and supposably is rated for a 55 gallon tank
- Modding the tank everything gets a bit finicky.
- The skimmer bracket should of been adjustable, it takes abit to tune the skimmer
- Display is a bit narrow
- Drilling closed loop and placing closed loop in tank can be a bit of work, well at least for the 2nd generation tank.
- Finnex support made owning the tank enjoyable.

Some additional information:

Putting a fuge has been a bit of a pain for all of us. I ended up with a 24" CPR aqaufuge. It looks ugly but it was the best I wanted to do. The space in the sump was a big limitation especially if trying to get a closed loop of any sort. Makes routine maitenance a chore.

The tank is a bit small on the display size as far as width and it has come to haunt some of us a bit.

The most usual mod is to switch the return pump out for a Quiet One 3000. This pump fits in there real nice and snug. The tank is a bit noise without the rain trays so keep it or figure a way to glue in a ledge to flow the water down. If the drop is too much it will create micro bubbles in your display. I know trust me on this one.

The tank is built nicely. The lights that come with the tank are good for FOWLR or some softies and LPS. I would think about a retro, for other types of coral. There is a write up on Nano-reef for this by Koden. I personally chose two 150 watt aquamedics.

**** Warning: Finnex has reported problems with the top eurobrace if a single metal halide is placed to close the the middle part of the brace. WELL NO DUH!!!!..... You can contact them about a riser for the lights. When I last spoke to them about 3 months ago they were talking about a MH fixture for the 32gallons with the appropriate riser. Like I said their support rocks!!!!

When choosing live rock be careful with the size and shape, it can be a bit of a pain to get it through the eurobrace, and the narrow display makes turning a piece of large live rock around a real pain. Less learned on this one personally.

The tank is really pretty though, well not mine at least. The closed loop looks like hell on my tank, with the fuge hanging off the back.

Here are some threads on Nano-reef that will give you some opinions on it. Keep in mind Finnex has AWESOME support. They answer the questions via e-mail with in a day or two and do a good job with it. So if you have techincal questions they are a good source.

Koden's write up: (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67171&hl=m-tank)

Closed loop idea, this has a write up in the DIY of nano-reef. (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75399&hl=m-tank)

65 pages of the 20 gallon M-tank: Once in a Life-time Nano (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32301&hl=m-tank) Sorry this one lost most of its pictures.

eco170
01/13/2006, 03:15 PM
Thank you so much for taking your time. This is what I needed to hear.