PDA

View Full Version : niger trigger in a community tank?

MNgirl
01/13/2006, 01:54 PM
Does anyone have a niger in a community tank? If so, can you tell me what tankmates it has? I have a yellow tang, a diamond goby, and a lawnmower blenny in a 90 gallon....I would like to add a small niger trigger but I am concerned about the goby and blenny......do you think it will be fine as long as I start with a small one?

Thanks!!!

bean3178
01/13/2006, 07:20 PM
I can't speak for a niger trigger, but I have a blue throat in my tank with a yellow tang, 2 maroon clowns, black cap basslett, 6 line wrasse, pipefish, 2 pictillis anthias and a chromis. He gets along with everyone just fine...

fishman805
01/13/2006, 07:22 PM
The niger should do just fine.... They generally get along with most fish... It's the corals and stuff that "some" say will be in harms way but I know several folks that have them in their reefs with no problems....

Bob

bean3178
01/13/2006, 07:24 PM
BTW, I have both LPS and SPS corals in my tank, along with feather dusters, etc. My blue throat doesn't touch any of them.

kabboord
01/13/2006, 07:32 PM
My niger doesn't bother anyone. I also have a 90, with lots of SPS, a yellow tang, sixline, royal grama, and flame angel. Model citizens all. One thought about the niger though, he is going to need meat, and a good amount of it. I feed him like a quarter of a silverside every other day. I actually think the little bits of refuse help my corals, but if you already have a high nutrient tank it might put it over the edge. A really strange thing about mine, is that after two weeks, he now voraciously eats flake food, algae flakes at that. Weird I know. That being said, he's one of my favorite fish, beautiful and always out in the open.

LauraCline
01/13/2006, 08:21 PM
Where I work, we have a 180 gallon with a Niger, Volitans Lionfish, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Hippo Tang, Naso Tang, Bamboo Shark, Maroon Clown, SFE, and a Foxface. All are peaceful and the Niger is out and swimming most of the time.

rizkeeper
01/13/2006, 08:24 PM
do they eat inverts (hermits, snails or cleaner shrimp?)

petermai
01/13/2006, 10:06 PM
i have my niger for about a month now, i bought him when he was roughly 2 inches long. no problem with him since, i have hermit crabs of all sizes and he does not touch any of them. him and my regal tang swims together and he also leaves the firefish alone. so all in all, i think it's a great addition to my tank.

swissgaurd
01/13/2006, 10:30 PM
the niger can be a great addition i found that they do good with tangs i also found that they will eat invertabrates

vic

robszar
01/13/2006, 11:24 PM
mine was just a pain in the a$$, fliped over inverts all the time, picked snails off the glass, pick on everyone. your taking a chance, it is a trigger

kabboord
01/13/2006, 11:33 PM
Mine doesn't mess with the snails, but he's well fed. I'm not sure I'd trust him with a shrimp though. He hasn't showed an interest in my crabs, I figured they'd be goners.

JIM260
01/14/2006, 05:19 PM
Have had one in 300 reef for one year with everything: firefish, tangs, pyg angels, clownfish, pj cards, scholl of anthias, hermits, turbos, porcelin crab, cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, lps, sps, zoos, softies, urchins, stars, cucs, etc. He is quiet and almost shy and very healthy. Tank is fed lightly 4-5 times a day. He likes fomula 2 flake the best.