PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Equipment?

jnarowe
01/13/2006, 01:07 PM
My local gas suppliers all sell "used" cyclinders and I would prefer to buy new. I am inthe Seattle area. Any recommendations on the best local or internet place to buy CO2 equipment?

SeanT
01/13/2006, 01:20 PM
Get the used one.
The deal is when that one is empty you take it back and they give you one that is full for a nominal charge.
Many places will ONLY take back THEIR cylinders as they know they have been tested.

JMO,
Sean

AZDesertRat
01/13/2006, 02:15 PM
http://www.superprod.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=167756&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=167669

jnarowe
01/13/2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for your responses!

SeanT I am a bit suspicious of that. I would like to maintain possession of my tanks so that I know what has been done with them. It takes extra time to get a refill but I think it would be worth it. The local supply places all send tanks to the same place to be refilled, and mine would be sent there too, but be tagged as "private ownership".

Any comments?

AZDesertRat
01/13/2006, 06:29 PM
You can usually get them filed while you wait at fire extinguisher service companies or my choice, Homebrewing shops. I use it for my beer taps also!

jnarowe
01/13/2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah, we have both as well as a Praxair. That should be enough for refills locally. I may just buy my tanks from reefgeek since he sent out a discount card.

AZDesertRat
01/13/2006, 06:36 PM
New shiny aluminun tanks look better too!

SeanT
01/13/2006, 06:53 PM
Jonathatn,
The tank you get from them is actually yours.
You trade it out.
Before you buy a new tank, take the time to call around to see if anyone will fill it and if they are going to charge you to test it.
If not, get a new one.
Siny aluminum does look better but I have a 50 lb CO2 tank and it is hidden away.
I care more about the end result and easability of refill over 'shiny' ;)
Sean

jnarowe
01/13/2006, 07:47 PM
good points. you have a 50lb. tank? I am wondering if my plan may fall short. My current idea is to buy 2 - 10lb tanks so I always have one hooked up to the system, but maybe that's not enough? I know when I buy it it's theoreticaly mine, but the way the fills go here, they either swap it out on the spot, which means I am getting another tank, not one that has been under my control, or you have to stipulate private ownership and wait longer for the fill. Usually about 2 weeks.

I was just about to buy the two 10lb tanks when I thought maybe I should post and learn a little before I do so!

20lb filled tanks cost $139 from Praxair, but these are not new. 10lb tanks are not much less.

zapata41
01/13/2006, 08:21 PM
the only difference in ownership bottles and non-ownership, well at least with our Oxygen place, is that you get charged a monthly fee like rent for the bottle and then have to pay to have it filled whereas if you buy one from them then you only pay a few bucks to get a filled. i cant think of any reason why you would want to own a shiny alum. bottle when it just gets tucked out of site and is gonna get a scratched up when you go to get it filled and then have to wait to get it filled.

Tim