PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried the AquaClear surface skimmer?

FishWife1
01/13/2006, 12:04 AM
If so, how does it work? I just found some info but the guy writing didn't say whether it worked well or not.

Right now I am planning on a 15 gal. with a power filter on the back but I know surface scum will be an issue. This looks like it could work and be pretty well hidden by rock work, too.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Laurie

ozfish
01/13/2006, 03:41 AM
I have one feeding my AC500 on my 8.5 gal. It works perfectly and helps prevent any scum buildup on the surface.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/rb253939/nanoDec009.jpg

ozfish
01/13/2006, 04:01 AM
Basically it works by extending the inlet pipe to the filter so it only extracts water from the surface.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/rb253939/nanoDec014.jpg
It's a bit easier to see in that picture.
The top of the inlet has a floating overflow structure so it will adapt to some loss in water level due to evap.
Hope that helps. Any more questions feel free to ask.

FishWife1
01/13/2006, 08:56 AM
Ahhhhh, thank you. Your tank looks nice and clean. Nice rock-work, too.

Laurie

furforfour
01/13/2006, 02:54 PM
Is that a halide above your tank? If not what kind of light is it?

Jordan55
01/13/2006, 03:19 PM
Ozfish.... how does it work when you have evap?

I would imagine after a couple days of not topping off, it would either be sucking dry or sucking pretty low and making one of those long whisp sounds?

I assume you could put it low enough to the point when the tank is full, it sucks it off the top from underneath the surface, then when the evap comes a couple days later it starts sucking above the waterline a bit and the surface would just flow into the inlet.

DirkG
01/13/2006, 07:23 PM
no <a Sorry have to get my count to 50href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6488553#post6488553 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishWife1
If so, how does it work? I just found some info but the guy writing didn't say whether it worked well or not.

Right now I am planning on a 15 gal. with a power filter on the back but I know surface scum will be an issue. This looks like it could work and be pretty well hidden by rock work, too.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Laurie

ozfish
01/13/2006, 11:24 PM
Ahhhhh, thank you. Your tank looks nice and clean. Nice rock-work, too.

Your welcome and thanks for the nice comments :D

Is that a halide above your tank? If not what kind of light is it?
Yes It's a 70w metal halide.

I would imagine after a couple days of not topping off, it would either be sucking dry or sucking pretty low and making one of those long whisp sounds?

I have left it for a few days with no problems. If the water level drops too low the floating inlet drops down uncovering another inlet located at the bottom of the tube. The water is then sucked in from the bottom. It does make a small amount of noise when doing this.

Hope this helps.