PDA

View Full Version : Dirty surface water?

CoMMaNdeR
01/12/2006, 01:55 PM
I noticed that on the water surface in my tank the water looks white/dusty... Its like scum..

I heard something about this some time ago and I guess it is normal, but I wish to know what is this thing and how can I eliminate it ?

kfisc
01/12/2006, 01:59 PM
One way is to make sure you have enough random turbulence to break the surface tension of the water- and to have a top-skimming drain or overflow of some kind, even if it's to a hang-on skimmer.

lakebound
01/12/2006, 01:59 PM
sounds like protein build up... do you use a protein skimmer? Or do you have an overflow?

Reefy
01/12/2006, 02:03 PM
For a quick fix...you can lay paper towel over the surface of the water and absorb the slick. They also make surface skimmer attachment that goes on a power head. I have never used them before so I don't know how effective they are. A strong power head aimed at the surface of the water usually did it for me when I ran a sumpless system.

CoMMaNdeR
01/12/2006, 02:05 PM
Yes guys,

My tank is a 145 gallon. The tank is drilled and I have 2 durso pipe, 1 on the left side and other on the right side.

The tank is still cycling, just 2 weeks old only. I am running an Aquamedic Turbo Flotter skimmer, that is producing good skimmate, so I think everything is running properly.

Also I have a 30g sump, and in it I have put some carbon and floss where the water from the main tank is falling.

What do you think now guys ?

What is exactly that surface scum ?

jent46bow
01/12/2006, 02:21 PM
you still need surface movment.

CoMMaNdeR
01/13/2006, 01:16 AM
?!

hopper
01/13/2006, 01:47 AM
Take the return line from your sump and aim it straight across the upper half of your tank and make the water move straight across instead of downward. Powerhead placed on the side of the tank near the top will work also.