PDA

View Full Version : Lighting ? ? ?

Brad-DA
01/12/2006, 07:33 AM
I currently have a 2 month old 5.5 AGA with 36 watts pc!
I am already planning upgrade to 10 AGA. I am going to order
coralife 96 quad 20 IN long. I am not going to upgrande to 10
right away though, But want to use 96 w pc on 5.5 for a while.
Too much light? Whats the best method for transfering tank,rock sand coral etc?
Brad

mokujin22
01/12/2006, 08:00 AM
definately not too much light. there are some out there using 150 MH over ten gallon tanks.

Genin
01/12/2006, 08:30 AM
I think the light will be fine as long as it doesn't heat up your 5.5 too much or cause too much evaporation.

Agu
01/12/2006, 09:57 AM
You might want to get the legs so there's some airspace between the tank and light.

You'll need lots of water......

Drain down the tank water about half into one bucket, move the corals there. Drip new water into that bucket as an acclimation.

Drain down the rest of the water and move the rock to a seperate bucket.

I'm ambivalent about moving sandbeds. I'd recommend using new/clean sand.

Add new water to half fill the new tank. You might want to do this a day in advance so any dust cloud can settle.

This is a good time to clean the rock of undesirable hitch hikers and detritus . If you do that the water in that bucket will have to be discarded.

Aquascape the tank, add water as necessary but don't fill the tank. While doing this exchange water between the coral bucket and tank so the corals are acclimated.

Move corals.

Top off with new water to desired height.

Pour old water into old tank and add some type of circulation. After the dust cloud settles spend three hours with a small cup scooping out pods and worms and move them to the new tank. ( Do this when no one is home or they'll think you're seriously deranged :lol: )

hth,

Brad-DA
01/13/2006, 10:12 PM
What about this on a 10gallon? or my 5.5 gal
is 20k a good bulb?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jebo-Odyssea-20-223-W-Metal-Halide-System-Version-3_W0QQitemZ7736893848QQcategoryZ46314QQcmdZViewItem

Llamaguy
01/13/2006, 11:02 PM
it probably isn't a good idea to buy anything Jebo, do a seach on it here, many people have had really, really bad experiences with it. You can have a DIY MH retro for about that much, alittle more for the HQI and there won't be nearly the risk of burning your house down.