PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: yellow tort- incorrect ID

gary greguire
01/11/2006, 08:19 PM
this message was PMed to me tonight.

"hey for the record I saw your yellow tort ... I think you may have mis identified the species...

acropra tortugosa polyp formation is most closely tubular dismixilae in construction ... the one that you are selling is nariform elongate ... to the lay this is barely even recognizeable ... whom ever you bought this from that told you it was a tort I would contact them also and tell them that it is not a tort. I dont want this to come across as mean I just think it would better suit your reputation if you are correctly id'ing species. "

A message to all that are interested in any of my sps corals, I do not buy according to name I buy according to what I like. I simply show pictures of what I am offering I do not have the time to research every coral I own nor do I have much of an interest in the scientific names.

It has been said by some that I am an expert at sps corals This is not true at all I have just barely started keeping them and usually rely on the info I am given when I purchase a coral

I am not upset about the correction I just want everyone to know that I am no expert I just love my corals and like to share them with others.

Here is the coral in question.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/71950000_0660.jpg

Thank you for the input

Gary

NYBen
01/11/2006, 08:30 PM
Darn it Gary... you owe me a yellow "TORT"!

No worries, i've been told that in some cases the only way to differentiate between species of SPS in under a microscope. Allthough it would be nice if you'd get a doctorate in Marine Biology in your spare time and do that for us next time. :D

S Helinski
01/11/2006, 09:53 PM
I do believe that I have a yellow tortuosa.

Let me get a pic

Steve

S Helinski
01/11/2006, 09:55 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/34137MVC-044S.JPG

parkavenuereef
01/11/2006, 10:45 PM
looks nice both of you guys!

St.james of reefdom
01/12/2006, 07:47 AM
doesnt matter Gary, I still want a frag of that coral.