PDA

View Full Version : Local source for calcium chloride

frag master flash
01/11/2006, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know of a local source for calcium chloride. I would like to try my hand at makeing a homemade 2 part calcium/alkalinity additive. I know that baking soda is readily available, but not sure if Dowflake (or an alternative source) is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

goulding.c
01/11/2006, 09:57 AM
Is it the same as the calcium chloride used for de-icing. Any salt or plow supplier would carry that in 50 lbs bags. I buy 50s of calcium chloride 97% prills but I am not sure if it is the same stuff or if it has other stuff in there too. Just trying to help.

frag master flash
01/11/2006, 10:02 AM
Goulding.c - thanks for the reply. It sounds like it is pretty much the same thing. I believe that calcium chloride is typically used in de-icers. Problem is there is nothing to de-ice in sunny Florida. I will double check the local home depot to be sure that they do not carry it. Thanks!

cmcgehee01
01/11/2006, 10:09 AM
Pinch-a Penny pool supply stores carry calcium chloride in 5# buckets & also most have Dowflake in their storeroom if you ask for it.

goulding.c
01/11/2006, 10:10 AM
Our calcium chloride says it has pottasium chloride and sodium chloride in it to. IS that ok to use?

frag master flash
01/11/2006, 10:27 AM
cmcgehee01: Thanks for the info. I will definately check them out.

goulding.c: I believe that the sodium chloride is just salt - may raise your salinity more than a regular 2 part additive alone. I am not sure about the potasium chloride. I will try and pm you a link to the article I am using for the reciepe tomorrow.

Off to work.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

bgdiving
01/12/2006, 02:52 AM
I picked up a bucket of calcium chloride froom my pool supply store quite a while ago but never got around to trying it.

How do you dose calcium chloride? I assume you make a solution in fresh water but I really have no idea. :confused:

myakkareef
01/12/2006, 08:13 AM
Brian, this might help you find out what these guys are doing...
Home Made 2-Part Additive.. (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm)

bgdiving
01/14/2006, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I picked up the epsin salts and made up the Magnesium Sulfate solution and have dosed that a couple of times already this wk. I've got the chemicals for the 2 part stuff, just haven't gotten around to mixing it up yet.