PDA

View Full Version : Starting a nano and have some ?

rick051074
01/10/2006, 05:37 PM
I want to keep it basic. I had to take down my inwall 125 because we are moving but i need something to hold me over. I can get a 29gal tank and stand for free. I have 2 250w mh lights and 2 96w actinics I can use from my 125. Now the questions. I need to decide between BB and sand (yea a fun one i know). I dont really need the debate as I understand the differences, but I want keep this SIMPLE. Would a BB work without a skimmer and sump if I uped the water changes? Should I use both the MH's or just one? How many lbs of rock would be the minimum? Thats all I have for now.

Thanks

Rick

calvin415
01/10/2006, 05:49 PM
BB would probably work just fine, but for me it just doesn't look right. It's nice and easy to care for, just suck up anything you see, but I prefer a nice sand bed especially for a nano. If you are going reef in a 29 I would recommend about 50lbs +/- depending on density... 1 MH should be fine, and would opt for a 14K bulb so you don't need any supplements. What are you wanting to keep in the tank?

rick051074
01/10/2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the responce. I have not thought to much about what to keep. I guess I would want to have the ability to keep "anything" as long as the size permitted. I have a 14k bulb so that should be fine. If one light works I would much rather do that but if I cant keep clams for instance then I will go with two.

Also would keeping a very shallow sand bed keep the ease of the BB with a natural look? My 125 was BB and I learned to live with the look but would rather have sand. Also is a sump recommended/required if I go with a DSB?

Rick

calvin415
01/10/2006, 06:00 PM
I would always recommend a skimmer and a sump, it looks so much better not seeing anything in the tank. :) One MH should be fine for Clams, it's not about how many you have but how far the light penetrates. 1 250W MH is good for about 24" deep and 24x24 footprint.