PDA

View Full Version : Sick/Dying True Percs, what would you do?

iflyprops
01/09/2006, 09:32 AM
Here's the story...

I am on my first saltwater tank, a 29g. Everything that has gone into the tank has come from one LFS, liverock, inverts, and two true percula clownfish, all spaced over about a month and a half. After I brought the Percs home about a week and a half ago I noticed one had white stringy feces and occasionally twitched. I thought it may have just been stress as he had just been introduced (properly) to the tank, with no other fish. Yesterday they took a turn for the worst after doing great for about a week. The larger of the two became stuck to the intake of the powerhead, but luckily I saw it happen and was able to free him. And the other was still having the stringy feces and started twiching again. So promptly set up a quarantine tank and at the advice of my LFS treated them with CLOUT... This morning one of the clowns in intermittently lying on the bottom of the QT tank, struggling to swim while the other has an length of white stringy feces that is ever increasing in length, and swimming sideways. Also both fish are occasionally skimming.

Do you think the fish came from the fish store with these illnesses? Did I do anything wrong from what you can tell, other than not treating them when I first brought them home?

My question is the following: What would you ask from your LFS? Obviously I plan on demanding my money back (do you think this is right?) for fish that cost $30 each. I am honestly more upset about losing my fish than the money.

Thank You,
Adam

Cutiewitbooty
01/09/2006, 09:35 AM
it sounds like internal parasites, i'm not sure if you could get your money back, but you could sure try.

iflyprops
01/09/2006, 09:46 AM
Thats what I've read and thats what many have told me, needless to say I think I'm done with this particular LFS.

-Adam

AIMFish
01/09/2006, 09:54 AM
I would go see if their clowns are sick and also ask if they were wild caught or captive bred. I'm guessing that they were wild caught.

iflyprops
01/09/2006, 09:57 AM
I guess I left that out, they "say" they are captive bred. But the guy yesterday kind of went back and forth on it...

-Adam

AIMFish
01/09/2006, 10:00 AM
I assumed everyone in FL would sell ORA clowns, I guess not?:confused: They do real well for me.

iflyprops
01/09/2006, 01:13 PM
ORA? What is that?

iflyprops
01/09/2006, 01:15 PM
Also, an update. I lost the largest of my two Perculas about an hour ago. And the second looks as if though it is not far behind.

iflyprops
01/09/2006, 01:24 PM
...I just spoke with what used to be my local fish store, 7 seas aquarium in longwood FL and they essentially told me it wasn't their problem and even though I bought everything in the tank from them I am out of luck...

Looks like its mail order for me.

AIMFish
01/10/2006, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6459246#post6459246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iflyprops
ORA? What is that? http://www.orafarm.com Sorry to hear about your clowns :( I was pretty sad when my 8 yo Maroon died.

thedude15810
01/10/2006, 10:50 PM
What are you feeding those clowns? And not to be a downer, but most LFS give you around a 48 hour DOA policy and anything after that is essentially you. I don't think the store is being out of line refusing a refund.