PDA

View Full Version : We get our reviews this week at work

Scuba_Dave
01/08/2006, 11:43 PM
Oh goody, I get to be told how incompetent I am :rolleyes:
Funny how according to our boss allof us are incompetent
Could be the problem lies elsewhere...7 out of 8 techs agree....

Been working there 1.5 years...boss just noticed everyone wears jeans on Friday...duh
Just noticed everyone wears sneakers EVERY day....duh

Not to dress code...so he makes his boss send out a notice about the dress code

BLKTANG
01/08/2006, 11:59 PM
You are so lucky.

dc
01/09/2006, 12:13 AM
So you're have all kinds of fun huh?

VoidRaven
01/09/2006, 06:41 AM
I feel for you Scuba....I'm trying to get out of my job as soon as possible. Went from having a great manager when I started to now having a micro-manager. On top of that I really kind of peaked-out here and now my job depresses me more than ever. I know it's mostly the new boss that is the main reason why I want out, but the job is getting to me too. Problem is...I don't know what I would like to do or where I would like to work next! I got some ideas and have been talking to some folks, but I don't think any of my ideal options will become available to apply for in my time frame. Now I'm trying to decide if I should stick it out until what I would rather have comes along and hope I can get through the interview process and get the job or if I should just jump as fast as I can for something/anything else.

Decisions decisions......I'd like to have a new job by June if possible (that's when my review is). Just not sure how feasible it is.......

Nina51
01/09/2006, 08:01 AM
i sorta had a review last friday. boss sat down, just the two of us in the office. she says "rumor has it that the state's attorney is gonna offer you a job." i said "oh yeah? interesting, nobody has told ME." she wanted to know if i was gonna consider it. i said yes, when donkeys fly outta my butt.

the pay would be much better, the hours better. same work environment but his office is in the courthouse. i wouldn't be able to take simon to work with me. and i wouldn't be able to take long lunches. and i wouldn't be able to get a day off just because i feel like taking one.

it's a no-brainer for me. :)

oz
01/09/2006, 10:20 AM
Don't you guys do a 360 for your boss ? If not, they should.

Hoggn
01/09/2006, 12:36 PM
Funny... I'm in the process of giving out reviews... Everybody needs to work harder so I cabn surf RC more....

DizziDezi2
01/09/2006, 04:49 PM
just had my review... got a nice raise, promo and more stock. ;)

Hoggn
01/09/2006, 04:56 PM
But still no picture!

Muttling
01/09/2006, 06:26 PM
Perf evals are typically determined long before the eval process starts. I've played the consulting game for 14 years and seen almost every version of the eval process.

You simply can't prevent a bad boss from screwing you, but you can manage to hold your ground if you do your homework through out the year. I keep every single written comment about how good a job I'm doing. Every thing from simple thank you's to proposal awards to big time atta boys. By the end of the year, I have 20 to 50 comments on how good a job I've done.

A boss can still say "he sucks" in the face of a pile of comments that say "you rock", but it doesn't hold as much creedance. If you get the standard raise, you really can't argue it successfully. If you get a sub-par raise, you can show reasonable grounds to gripe about it.

In the end, if you want to get a significant salary correction you're going to have to look to another company. I was in this position a few years ago and gave them 3 chances to correct the situation without actually giving them a threat. The higher ups had the gall to act surprised when I handed in my resignation and sighted the total lack of response to my previous performance evals as one of the reasons for my resignation. I was offered a salary correction, but it was a mute issue at that point as I knew there would be heck to pay at a later date.

oz
01/09/2006, 07:30 PM
In terms of increases, I did much better than any stock you may own since the 90's. Been at the same place since '83. Have had many jobs but all within same organization though.

Muttling
01/09/2006, 08:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6462180#post6462180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oz
In terms of increases, I did much better than any stock you may own since the 90's. Been at the same place since '83. Have had many jobs but all within same organization though.

In terms of increases???? Is your year over year increase in the 20% range? This is where the upper end stocks have produced.

On a side note my salary bumps has exceeded 20% on average, but that number is slighted by a few very lucky career moves that have vaulted me forward. It's way beyond the salary growth of my peer group.

oz
01/10/2006, 08:24 AM
Let me look it up.

oz
01/10/2006, 08:40 AM
Well, may be I overstated it a bit but below is my history of salary increases. I'm content but not happy where I am with my current position. I need to find me another job (within the same organization) or hope my boss get reassign somehow which could very well happen. Until then all I can hope for is mediorce increases for the next few years.

'83 I started working.
in '84, I got 1.19%
'85, 2.57%
'86, 1.43%
'86 again at 10.74% (promotion)
'87, 3%
'87 again at 8.43% (new job, higher level)
'88, 1.49%
'89, 7.71%
'90, 4.18%
'90 again at 28.9% (Promotion)
'91, 6.3%
'92, 2.6%
'93, 7%
'94, 20.01% (new job at higher level)
'95, 1.6%
'96, 3.61%
'97, 11.27% (new job, same level but different department)
'98, 1.68%
'99, 3%
'00, 8.5%
'01, 6.8%
'02, 4.6%
'03, 3.7%
'04, 5.4%
'05, 3.5%

Muttling
01/10/2006, 07:37 PM
That's really not a bad history for salary growth. It certainly looks to be well above the average run and you've got the benefits on long time service with the company.

My wife's a nurse at a hospital, she's 3.5% to 4.5% year in year out and there's really no hope of a significant jump for her unless she jumps ship. In nursing, all the benefits and the choice time slots come with seniority so she's not going to jump ship.

When we got married, I made slightly less then her, now I'm closing in on 3x her salary. However, she's up to 5 weeks vacation and I get 2.

Scuba_Dave
01/13/2006, 01:50 PM
I'm partially succesful......had the review by phone since they had to be done by today & I've been out sick

Oz said: Don't you guys do a 360 for your boss ? If not, they should
Funny, another employee registered a complaint w/HR about our boss
That employee is no longer at work for "personal reasons"

dc
01/13/2006, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6491902#post6491902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scuba_Dave
I'm partially succesful......had the review by phone since they had to be done by today & I've been out sick

Funny, another employee registered a complaint w/HR about our boss
That employee is no longer at work for "personal reasons"

Imagine that!:D

Scuba_Dave
01/13/2006, 02:27 PM
He also told me I had LOTS of overtime, I said no, I have about 12 hours for the year
"No, you have way more then that"
I looked it up on our Corporate site, lists ALL hours worked for the year. I have a grand total of 13.3 hrs for the YEAR

And Internet use is now a complaint......so no more posts from me during working hours. They seem to think I have some magical way around them blocking sites
80+ hours access in 3 months
Let's see, 20 days a month x 3 = 60

I'm in 1/2 hour early usually, 1/2 hour lunch, 1/2 hour in breaks per day

1.5 x 60 = 90 hours of personal time in 3 months I'm supposed to be able to surf. So from now on I will only surf Mircosoft & Technical sites. It's just not worth the hassle

dc
01/13/2006, 03:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6492141#post6492141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scuba_Dave
He also told me I had LOTS of overtime, I said no, I have about 12 hours for the year
"No, you have way more then that"
I looked it up on our Corporate site, lists ALL hours worked for the year. I have a grand total of 13.3 hrs for the YEAR

And Internet use is now a complaint......so no more posts from me during working hours. They seem to think I have some magical way around them blocking sites
80+ hours access in 3 months
Let's see, 20 days a month x 3 = 60

I'm in 1/2 hour early usually, 1/2 hour lunch, 1/2 hour in breaks per day

1.5 x 60 = 90 hours of personal time in 3 months I'm supposed to be able to surf. So from now on I will only surf Mircosoft & Technical sites. It's just not worth the hassle

You're going to have to find another job!

Scuba_Dave
01/13/2006, 03:44 PM
:D ;)

Thurge
01/14/2006, 06:08 AM
I am just waiting for the shafting to begin. I have already been told I am not "advanced" enough for promotion to Senior Level. So best and worst cases are wraped into one 4% raise....

I just wish they would start talking to me about moving out to Colorado. Moving to Cleveland was ABSOLUTELY the worst decision I have EVER made, so either the Company moves me out of the state or I jump ship; and I will make sure that there are several people already on vacation just to spite the woman I report to.
Note I didn't say work for, because if it wasn't for her employees cleaning up her messes and telling her what needs doing, the company would have folded.

BrokeColoReefer
01/14/2006, 03:39 PM
Whats a review? My company doenst have that word in there vocabulary. Im working on year 3 without one.
:mad2: