PDA

View Full Version : 15 gal eclipse system

ralphvg
01/08/2006, 07:08 PM
Walked into PetSmart on New Year's Eve to buy some food for my freshwater tanks and walked out with a 15 gallon Eclipse system that was on close-out for $70. Marinelife claims the system can be used for either fresh or salt. It has a bio filter built into the top, this one came with a decent 50 watt heater and the single bulb is a "natural daylight". I always wanted to try salt--been doing fresh for 30 years. So far I have 20 lbs. of substrate--not sand, a bit larger white peices (already forgot exact name!), 8 lbs. of cured LR. Water and substrate were in by New Year's evening and the LR went in 3 days later. I know I need more LR, thought I go slow with it. Things starting to grow already!

My question is, now realizing that there are much better "systems" to be purchased for filtering and lighting, will I be alright with 2-3 small fish and some maintenance animals, and will I be able to grow anything else besides the LR with this lighting. It is 5 ft, away from a northern window if that's any help? Would a different bulb be better?

Last concern, skimmers. With the top being completely enclosed, it would be difficult to cut the top to add a skimmer as the filter system runs across the back. Is the skimmer a "requirement"?

Thanks in advance.

kappaknight
01/08/2006, 10:29 PM
I have saltwater in a 12G Eclipse with a retro fitted lighting system. No skimmer running and so far so good.

bigtank
01/09/2006, 03:12 AM
Many people use skimmers, but it is not required, especially for small tanks IMO. Even without the eclipse making it hard to install, you are looking at more money and more maintenance. For some people this isn't worth it on a small tank like this.

ralphvg
01/10/2006, 09:31 AM
will I be able to grow anything else besides the LR with this lighting. It is 5 ft, away from a northern window if that's any help? Would a different bulb be better?

Jimsmowen
01/10/2006, 03:33 PM
What sort of lighting do you have?? Nobody knows.

Either way I would buy one of those retro fit kits and replace the lighting so you can get some decent looking corals :)

cmondo
01/10/2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah I would suggest getting a retro-fit kit also. I have an eclipse 6 gallon that I am running now. I have no skimmer to it, but i did drill two holes in the back and made a refugium for about 50 dollars total with the pump and all. There is two inches of livesand, 5 pounds of LR, and some chaeto in the 10 gallon fuge. I also took the filter out of the back of the tank. And with the fuge I am contemplating adding carbon to the overflow section of hte fuge.