PDA

View Full Version : Some quick pics of new tank

mntl
01/08/2006, 07:02 PM
This is a transfer from a 10 gal I had, it is currently a few months old, I traded out the old inhabitants and started (mostly) fresh.

It is a 20L/20W/12T rimless/Polished edge, Starfire nano made by Miracles in glass. Sump is a cheap 10gal tank, topoff is auto air-pressure regulated and comes from a 5 gal tank. Skimmer is remora with a mj1200. Flow is 4 mj1200 with one in the sump for return. Cpr 2nd overflow, custome acrylic 1st overflow. 2 lockline outlets in the upper right are visible, 2 more are in the lower left behind rocks. Luminarc mini reflector 175w mh Hamilton 14k no supplimentation.

It will be all acros like all of my other tanks have been, this one will be all deepwater on the left side and encrusting montis on the right. Hope you all like it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/mntl/tank2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/mntl/tank1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/mntl/system2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/mntl/system1.jpg

---John

surfnvb7
01/08/2006, 07:19 PM
awesome! love the lumenarc, thats gonna kick butt.

my only suggestion, is to lay a piece of starboard down on the bottom. laying sharp bare rock directly on the glass makes me cringe.

Kogo
01/08/2006, 07:21 PM
can you explane your auto topoff system?

mntl
01/08/2006, 07:58 PM
surf--I agree on the starboard, I will be doing it soon. That, and I think it just looks better :D .

Kogo--In the last pic, the small tank on the left has a black box above it. This box is a air-pressure sensor, it is connected to a line of airline tubing that is again connected to a plastic tube that is partially submerged in my sump (you can see this in last pic) When the water drops in the sump, the pressure in the air-line tubing drops (because there is a bubble trapped in the upside-down piece of plastic tubing in sump, kindof like holding a plastic cup upside-down and pushing it into water, it traps a bubble which creates pressure) when this happens it trips the air-pressure sensor which is connected to a small pump in my little tank on the left (again this is visible in the pic). the water is then slowly pumped into the sump until the water raises and ups the pressure back to where it was initially in the air line tubing, telling to sensor to shut off the pump. I get about 1/4-1/2" of water fluctuation in the sump, sinse i fill it with highly diluted saltwater (I mix 1/16 cup salt-gallon of water for top-off) this keeps salinity in check and always keeps tank full. I refill the little tank every 10 days or so.

If you have any-more questions feel free to ask, or if that did not make sense I can try to re-explain.

Thnks for the feedback!!

--John

hahnmeister
01/09/2006, 02:34 AM
Who makes that top-off is what I want to know... not that the rest of that tank isnt really cool looking.

Mikeeal
01/09/2006, 02:37 AM
Dang, I really like this one. I keep coming back and just staring at the pics. Something about having the length and width the same just does it for me. Nice job.

Cutiewitbooty
01/09/2006, 09:56 AM
nice tank i would agree about the starboard though :D

mntl
01/09/2006, 12:26 PM
This TO is made by Spectrapure, there are other companies that make similiar designs. It takes about 5 min to install, and is as simple as two suction cups and plugging in a pump. the reason I went with this over a float-valve type is, there is nothing to get bound up in salt or that can possibly stick, it is extremely simple (even though my explanation of it isn't :rolleyes: ). With the outlet on the TO pump, I am using a minijet pump and I connected a 3/8"" ID blastic tube to the end of it, Then I glued a 3/8" OD tube into that, then I glued some airline tubing for the remaining amount, this way it slows down the flow and slowly adds the deluted water. If you look in the last pic, look at the tank on the left and the little pump in it. Follow the hose coming out of the pump and you will see it reduce twice, this has worked extremely well for me in slowing down the flow into the sump.

--John

wooz29
01/09/2006, 02:04 PM
I'm sorry but I am a newbie...what is starboard and where can I get it?
Thank you!

surfnvb7
01/09/2006, 02:17 PM
its a thick white (essentially really thick plastic) cutting board, like you have in the kitchen. you can get it at lowes, but you'll probably have to cut it to the right size of your tank.

frezel
01/09/2006, 05:51 PM
nice pics

vanmo92
01/09/2006, 11:34 PM
nice setup