PDA

View Full Version : 90 degrees

hdevils
01/08/2006, 06:31 PM
I didnt know why my finger leather wasnt looking so good latley. I found my ammoina to be high like .6, and my temp to be 90 degrees.

Could my temp have something to do with the leather not doing well and spiking my ammoina?

Rock Anemone
01/08/2006, 06:33 PM
90 degree water is extremely bad for corals and reef tanks. Lower that asap and do a good size water change to lower the ammonia. Also, running your skimmer and using carbon will help. It is possible that other critters (worms, snails, crabs, corals) may have died in the tank causing the ammonia to go up.

Rock Anemone

Skepperz
01/08/2006, 06:37 PM
90 degrees that’s way too hot!

Ammonia .6, when was the last time you did a water change?

Have you added any new fish or corals lately?

What do you use for biological filtration?

supertech3
01/08/2006, 06:43 PM
IMO you must keep the tank at 80+/- 2 or you will have alot of die off and ammonia spikes (CONTROL THE TEMP)

Skepperz
01/08/2006, 06:45 PM
Fish soup

supertech3
01/08/2006, 06:46 PM
I can smeel that soup brewing over here!

PatMayo
01/08/2006, 06:47 PM
If you have ammonia you have a problem. I am assuming your tank has been up for about a year. You sig says you have 1 yr experience. I think the high temp is a separate issue from the ammonia. I think you may have had some unaccounted for deaths in the tank or your bio load is too high. IE: feeding too much, too many critters or not exporting the nasties out quick enough.

I think I would first of all work on getting the ammonia down. Water changes etc. But you must do this slowly. Doing too large of a water change using 78 degree water into 90 degree may not be so good. Several smaller ones will work better.

Feed very lightly for the next few days if at all and then recheck everything.

You must determine why you had ammonia spike. That typically is a precurser to more problems in the future if you don't find the cause and correct it.

Regards,

Pat

hdevils
01/08/2006, 06:50 PM
nothing has died, just the finger not looking good.

just added a bubble coral about a week ago.

55g, with 5g water chage every 2 wks

just did a wc and turned off the heater

supertech3
01/08/2006, 06:55 PM
make sure you do not shock things now in the cold sense(lower slowly)

Skepperz
01/08/2006, 07:09 PM
What kind of lighting do you have?

Do you think this might be a contributor to your high temperature?

Does it get hot during the day where you live?

Swanwillow
01/08/2006, 07:13 PM
ok, instead of just turning off the heater, take it out!!!

90 is not good... IMO I think it killed off some of your biological filtration, and thats why your getting a small ammonia spike.

hmmm, yes on the slowly let the water cool. if it cools too quickly, you'll have lots of die off.

SO, turn off the lights, take out the heater, then follow my signature!!!

hdevils
01/08/2006, 07:34 PM
im guessing im feeding too much and the die off from the temp is the reason for the high ammonia level.

thank you all!!

PatMayo
01/08/2006, 08:12 PM
My tank had a heat problem as well. I came home one day and my tank was right at 90. (One of the lessons I learned)
I thought because it is winter and I keep my house at 72 degrees max and much cooler at night. Like 64. I didn't think I would have a heat problem. Especially since I don't have MH light I have PC lighting. But I had a glass cover on my tank. Even though my light is on legs and not directly on the tank with the glass lid the water got too warm. I pulled half the glass off and opened it up more and now boom. The tempature drops to 78.9 degrees at night and never higher than 80.3 during the day. So I came out ahead on both accounts. My temp is now good and I have the added oxygen exchange because my tank has more water exposed to the air.

I do have more evaporation now. I have to top off more but the tradeoff is ok.

I don't necesarily agree that you will have a lot of die off. I check my tank dialy so mine was only at 90 for a short time but I had no die off. Crabs, snails or fish. I have no inverts yet.

I think you have an overfeeding problem and too much stuff in the water. Hence the ammonia spike.

Do you have any algea?

Regards,

Pat

scrmbld33
01/08/2006, 08:56 PM
i had a 92 degree weekend, i went away and the heater went nuts, was a huge setback i even had to reseed with new live rock (although i was planning to get more anyway} my fish/snails hermits lived but lots of corraline and algae died and live rock went to white, but all is well now :)

PatMayo
01/08/2006, 09:05 PM
scrmbld33

That's too bad. Mine was only at that temp for probably no more than 5 or 6 hours. I'm glad it was not longer.

I am going to upgrade my heating system substantially when I get my 90. Actually on second thought I may have to get a chiller because of the MH lights that will be on this system.

Regards,

Pat

Skepperz
01/08/2006, 09:14 PM
Do you need to replace the heater?

Is it coming on at the right temperature?

Scuba_Dave
01/08/2006, 09:32 PM
What type of heater?
Just on heater?
What are you using to test the temperature?

90 is high - probably had some die off, I try to bring temp down - not to fast.
I would not take theheater out or turn it off unless you have another heater to install. If you take it out & forget, & it gets too cold, the shock of going from too hot - 90 to too cold will likely kill anything left.

I would turn the heater down, not off.....

Skepperz
01/08/2006, 10:51 PM
Yes turn the heater down and not off.

Also get something else to read the temperature in the tank like a hydrometer or something.

Try and match up the temperature with the heater and see if it's turning on when it's ment to.

hdevils
01/10/2006, 02:29 PM
i have no algae problems, just an overfeeding and hot temps. its down to around 78 now. about to do another water change. thx