PDA

View Full Version : Mag 9

CeeGee
01/08/2006, 12:01 AM
I am getting ready to set up my fuge in the next couple of weeks. I bought a mag 9 for a return pump (didn't know the ehiems are better or I would have gotten one of those) and I have heard a lot about the vibration of the the larger Mags. I was wondering if I should put a foam pad under the pump or something? I am worried that if I use a foam block that it might trap detritus. I also had the idea of sitting it on top of 4 suction cups.

Or I could call marine depot and see if they would trade it out for a ehiem as I have never used the pump.

Thoughts anyone?

kbmdale
01/08/2006, 12:08 AM
i used a foam pad..it worked fine. also think about using a 1 ft section of clear tubing in your return. This will also cut down on vibration.

O'Man
01/08/2006, 12:09 AM
Mine are just sitting on top of a piece of eggcrate. No problems to report. I have been happy with Mags.

Bill and Elaine
01/08/2006, 12:18 AM
I have a mag 9 & 12 running in my sump.....they just sit on the bottom...........no problems

sjm817
01/08/2006, 12:23 AM
I would exchange it for the Eheim if MD will do it. I do like Mag9.5s, but, to get the max flow out of them you need to use huge 1.5" plumbing. 1" is pretty good with only a small restriction. 3/4" kills the flow. I would not use it. An Eheim doesn't need the big plumbing, is VERY quiet, and is very reliable.