PDA

View Full Version : camel shrimp - coral muncher!

corals b 4 bills
01/07/2006, 11:00 PM
Tonite I had purchased a new frogspawn. It was in the tank for only 1 hour when I saw a camel shrimp picking him like crazy. Help!

Toddrtrex
01/07/2006, 11:08 PM
Besides taking out the camel shrimp, there isn't a whole lot to do. Camels are not considered reef safe. Pepermints are better, though some people have had issues with them, though I never had.

HTH

SDguy
01/07/2006, 11:13 PM
Sometimes they just go after already damaged/dying tissue...leaving healthy tissue alone. You could also try feeding your shrimp a lot while your coral settles in.

hth

LukFox
01/07/2006, 11:16 PM
They're not reef safe and I'd go after them right now if they're actually doing damage.

JENnKerry
01/08/2006, 08:06 AM
They're very smart and very quick. WE tried catching ours on several occasions with no luck. Had him for over a year. Model citizen for the longest time then one day he developed a taste for brain flesh. We haven't seen him in a few months. Pretty sure he finally died :)

swashbuckler
01/08/2006, 08:20 AM
if they weren't so pretty, id call them little cockroaches....

buzzer
01/09/2006, 05:53 AM
Get him out.
I got mine out by adding a little bit of food to a net and placing it near the glass with the handle sticking out of the water, they are more inquisitive than most animals apart from the cleaner shrimp so its a case of waiting for him to enter the net then BAM hopefully you will have him.
This might take a few goes and if you mess it up dont try it again for a few days.
HTH

Lev F.
01/09/2006, 07:39 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000BUVG7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:D But seriously, try to get him on the open sand, and when he's on there, corner him from the back he will jet back and right into the net. Good Luck!