PDA

View Full Version : flexible vs. hard tubing for sump

StephNewman
01/07/2006, 09:14 PM
I see a lot o people using hard tubing instead of flexible. Is there a reason for this? Does hard tubing effect how the water will flow through it?

kbmdale
01/07/2006, 09:16 PM
I used it on some of my return because the pump will cause a vibration in the return line and make a humming sound where it connects to the sump. The flexible keeps this from happening.

supertech3
01/07/2006, 09:45 PM
Hard tubing does not have all of the ribs that flexible does, thus will not having different particulate accumulations associated with it.

xtrstangx
01/07/2006, 11:07 PM
I plan on using flexible PVC with my 75g setup, just because I'm running a basement sump and the drain/return won't line up perfectly.

It also helps to reduce vibrations. You can get potentially more flow out of it than hard PVC, but you have to have more space (consider doing a 90ยบ angle.. 3/4" in regular PVC, a foot or two in flex PVC)

RokleM
01/08/2006, 12:21 AM
I use flex anywhere I need to potentially move items and to cut down areas where solid would restrict flow (use a curve flex instead of a 45 or 90 hard).

a4twenty
01/08/2006, 01:16 AM
i used the flex for my basement sump, and on my pump side there is only 1 90 ( in the tank ) the rest are nice gentle curves. i don't think the ribs make a big difference, actually i think the help kind of like rifling in a gun barrel.