PDA

View Full Version : Hawkfish vs. Miniatus Grouper

dendronepthya
10/13/2000, 09:20 AM
I don't usually keep fish, so please humor me. Is it possible to keep a large hawkfish with a miniatus grouper, or is the hawkfish toast? I am thinking about having a miniatus grouper with a trio of yellow tangs, and am trying to find other fish that can go along with this color scheme. I think a flame angel is too small and may be a $50 feeder guppy sooner than later. Is that also the fate of the hawkfish? What other fish are red/yellow like the miniatus and the yellow tangs that I may consider?

Doug
10/14/2000, 03:33 PM
Hi Dendronepthya,

While I have never owned any groupers, I do think the hawk would be lunch unless it is really large. I have a friend that keeps groupers and other large fish and they are very aggressive eaters.

How large is the hawk that you are talking about and what kind?

As far as other fish, how large of a tank are you going to put them in and I assume it is an FO?

HTH

Doug

serranus
10/14/2000, 04:56 PM
Sorry, but the Miniatus will very likely eat the hawk outright, even if it is large it is still rather thin and the Miniatus sees this as an indicator of an all you can eat buffet. Also in my experience the grouper will destroy any fish with a similar color. Ixnay on the flame angel, and most likely the hawk too.

smokinreefer
10/14/2000, 07:31 PM
No!
if the hawk isnt lunch, it will be dinner...sooner or later.