PDA

View Full Version : Clarki Clown eggs

Charles Oesterly
03/27/2002, 07:29 AM
There is a large Carpet Anenome in my 180 reef with 2 Clarki Clowns. A week ago I noticed eggs deposited on a rock very close to the Anenemoe and the Clowns keep close watch on it. How long before they hatch and do they have any chance of surivival with the other fish in the tank.
Should I set up a seperate tank for them and net them when they hatch? Anyone with experience please advise.

Playfair
03/27/2002, 08:25 AM
If they don't respond here, you should email Gary or Guy, I think they are the only ones that have raised fry. Congrats on getting this far!

kcolagio
03/27/2002, 09:03 AM
There is a book called (amazingingly enough) "Clownfishes" (by Joyce Wilkerson) that, as I remember it, covers this topic pretty thoroughly.

Basically, you will need to get them out of the tank and into another (10 gallon works fine). If you don't they are zooplankton and food for whatever catches them.

If the clows bred once, they will do it again, so you could just let this batch go and get the next one.

Hope that little bit helps.

Gary Majchrzak
03/27/2002, 09:18 AM
Charles, I'm sure Guy and I can help you from here.There is also a clownfish/anemone forum on RC.I would also recommend Frank Hoff's "Spawning and Rearing Marine Fish,with an emphasis on Clownfish" and Martin Moe's excellent book "Beginner to Breeder" - sorry if I slaughtered that last title, Martin!The preparation for raising the larvae involves culturing the first foods they will eat.This is much more challenging than getting them to spawn.Incidentally, did the fish spawn after being put on a diet of VibraGro pellets? I do know how to raise the larvae with fairly inexpensive tools.Frank Hoff's Florida Aqua- Farms can supply micro-algae cultures and resting rotifers that are the first foods the hatchlings will consume.I would not try to save this 'hatching', Charles,as your greenwater and rotifer cultures would ideally already be up and running.Your fish will spawn on a regular basis,with continued good feedings,and we can help you prepare to raise a spawn in the future,however.Watch for the hatching of the eggs shortly after seeing the eyes inside inside the egg casings.They will emerge shortly after the lights go out,and are phototropic- that is,they are attracted to light.You can use a flashlight to 'lead' them! A siphon tube works best to remove them into a small dish where you can observe them.And you will discover just how long zooplankton lasts the next morning! Go fish!!!

Charles Oesterly
03/27/2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
Charles, I'm sure Guy and I can help you from here.There is also a clownfish/anemone forum on RC.I would also recommend Frank Hoff's "Spawning and Rearing Marine Fish,with an emphasis on Clownfish" and Martin Moe's excellent book "Beginner to Breeder" - sorry if I slaughtered that last title, Martin!The preparation for raising the larvae involves culturing the first foods they will eat.This is much more challenging than getting them to spawn.Incidentally, did the fish spawn after being put on a diet of VibraGro pellets? I do know how to raise the larvae with fairly inexpensive tools.Frank Hoff's Florida Aqua- Farms can supply micro-algae cultures and resting rotifers that are the first foods the hatchlings will consume.I would not try to save this 'hatching', Charles,as your greenwater and rotifer cultures would ideally already be up and running.Your fish will spawn on a regular basis,with continued good feedings,and we can help you prepare to raise a spawn in the future,however.Watch for the hatching of the eggs shortly after seeing the eyes inside inside the egg casings.They will emerge shortly after the lights go out,and are phototropic- that is,they are attracted to light.You can use a flashlight to 'lead' them! A siphon tube works best to remove them into a small dish where you can observe them.And you will discover just how long zooplankton lasts the next morning! Go fish!!!