PDA

View Full Version : alchemy question

Jackley
01/06/2006, 02:20 PM
Parameters are: 4.3 meq/L Alkalinity, normal pH, can't raise calcium above 350 ppm with aragamilk and 8 wks use of Knop calc reactor, salinity is 1.025.

I use RO/DI water with "Reef Crystals" salt. What should I do to reduce Alk and increase calcium.

Thanks

bertoni
01/06/2006, 09:01 PM
I'd stop dosing the Aragamilk, turn off the reactor, and add a calcium chloride product like Turbo-Calcium. The alkalinity will drop on its own over time, probably just a few days or so. Then you could restart the reactor, etc.

ledford1
01/06/2006, 09:10 PM
Alchemy? No, I don't think you can turn lead into gold. Actually, I know what you mean - not an exact science. Holmes-Farley has a calculator to help you figure out how much to dose of what:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Just enter your current levels, the levels you want, and the additives you use to get an answer.

Basically, dose Ca, that will raise Ca and lower Alk like you want.

Good luck.

kakan
01/06/2006, 09:59 PM
Also check your magnesium. low levels will keep your calcium from rising. Your magnesium should be between 1350-1450

DrBDC
01/07/2006, 08:21 AM
Do what kakan said then what bertoni said.

Question you should think about with some of those products like aragamilk, purple up, etc. When you add 1/4 cup of it, how much EXACTLY should your ca, alk, and iodide raise. If you don't know, how do you know how much to add? I'm not saying that maybe 10 micron or whatever size isn't good, but if it would be your way of increasing the parameters, you need to know what it does exactly.