PDA

View Full Version : School Project

Bubba Beast
01/06/2006, 12:31 PM
Ok listen up everyone...

I'm going to be starting my "end-of-the-year" projct soon an it will be on salt-water fishtanks. If anyone would like to contribute info or pictures or anything like that just either post it here or pm me.

Fizz71
01/06/2006, 02:29 PM
Feel free to take whatever you want from my photobucket account:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v93/Fizz71/

Unfortunetely I lost about half of my corals in the past 2 weeks. I think I have the problem licked, but what a downer.

--Fizz

zooqi
01/06/2006, 08:35 PM
Bubba, If you go to the website and visit the links you can use any of the pictures. I do have pictures of the school aquariums and will have to update them to where they belong and working on it. Was nice that Fizz is sharing his photos too. Fizz, are those are the rocks that you were selling not long ago ? man they are really good. Or they are the once you got after that. What are they and where did you get them from. I'm looking for some branching rocks for a costumer who really wants to build the whole reef out of cement and branches of live rock in a tank in one piece.

Fizz71
01/07/2006, 08:23 PM
The rock in there is from a reefer who sold his tank about 2 years ago. The stuff I was selling is sitting in my sump. I like the branch to let me do that arch in the middle..but it cuts back on coral mounting space.

--Fizz

zooqi
01/07/2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks Fizz,,

Bubba Beast
01/13/2006, 12:54 PM
ok well thanks guys i'll have to get all the rubrics and stuff b-4 i can start though...

zooqi
01/13/2006, 01:26 PM
Ok, lets start from here and have it step by step.
What type of picture you are looking for ?
I have thousands of them and can't send them all online but I can send you a CD of them if you want.
Or
You can go to REEFNEST.COM and pick the picture you want and save it and feel free to use any.

Or
If you PM me your subject in power point then i can suggest pictures that you can chose from for those pages. For example if you have a page about clown fish I can send you 10 of them for you to pick which one you want for that site.
We will try our best to provide you with as much resources as we can.
Good to see you are working on this Bubba.

Reef_Dweller_69
01/13/2006, 08:45 PM
Fizz what kind of shrooms are these? I have t hem but know what there called. These are from you site.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v93/Fizz71/Posted/FragSwapper/?action=view&current=watershroom1.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v93/Fizz71/Posted/ReefCentral/?action=view&current=DCP_0222.jpg

Fizz71
01/15/2006, 11:29 AM
I only know them by the name your father game me...Watermellon Mushrooms. I got them from him. :) Never researched any further.

--Fizz

Reef_Dweller_69
01/15/2006, 07:00 PM
I only know them by the name your father game me.....

You lost me on that one, what do you mean by (the name your father game me)?

zooqi
01/16/2006, 12:13 AM
Fizz,, this is not Bubba and is different person.. :d :d
you got Reef_Dweller_69 thinking now. :D

Reef_Dweller_69
01/16/2006, 12:40 AM
Ok now what did i stumble upon here hummmm...:)

zooqi
01/16/2006, 12:59 AM
I'm sure he got you confused with Bubba Beast and his dad BMKINDIG.

Fizz71
01/16/2006, 08:29 AM
I did Mo......it's been a long year...and it's only the 16th of January. Anyway..unfortunately those were one of the many corals that perished in my tank crash. I've been working on rebuilding for 3 weeks now and I think the tank is stable, but all my leathers melted last week so that's still causing havok.

Anyway..that's my problem.....I got the shrooms from bmkindig and I've sold a few to some people so I'm sure they're still out there somewhere among our membership. I've seen them called watermelon shrooms by a couple of people. LiveAquaria calls then Green Stripped..that's a popular name too:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=669

Sorry about the confusing post Reef_Dweller...the original starter of this thread is bmkindig's son. :)

--Fizz

zooqi
01/16/2006, 08:40 AM
Green Stripped is what is seen on the lists and the popular one is Red With White Stripes on them too.

Reef_Dweller_69
01/16/2006, 09:21 AM
Hey Fizz no problem, I wasn't bothered by it at all was just curiouswhat you had meant. I thought it might have been a mistake, lol. A named Jeff near me gave me a rock from his sump with a bunch of these on them and I didn't know what type they were. I even fragged two of them and now have 5 more than I had to begin with (lost 3). Anyways thanks a bunch for the ID Fizz and Mo. Hope I didn't hijack Bubbas thread, sorry bro if I did.

zooqi
01/16/2006, 09:34 AM
You are welcome and Bubba knows now what type of coral is that in case if he needs to use it in his school project.

Bubba Beast
01/20/2006, 08:39 AM
lol right now i take like only 5-10 minutes each skool day to save pics... i've been getting them from all over but i only am keeping 3 out of like 20 as of the moment...havent gotton on ur photobucket fizz or ur links yet Mo but im working on it

zooqi
01/20/2006, 09:20 AM
Please let us know if you need anything else. If you have problem getting any picture please let us know.

MOX
01/20/2006, 11:41 AM
nice photos fizz i have some frogs as well ill try to send ya some photos

Bubba Beast
01/25/2006, 12:53 PM
Ok thanks guys...just got the rubric today

Bubba Beast
01/25/2006, 12:55 PM
i need to make at least a 20 minute presentation in front of the class... i gonna make a big powerpoint and i maybe gonna bring a tank in with me as my visual... g2g 4 now but ill be back in a while...maybe after math...

zooqi
01/26/2006, 11:04 PM
good move Bubba, you will be the reef expert in that school. Please let us know how it went.

bmkindig
02/27/2006, 01:59 PM
ok um im bubbabut having some tech difficulties at skool with internet...

zooqi
03/02/2006, 11:55 AM
good to see you here bubba and it looks like you have not figured how to get online under your name yet.

bmkindig
03/06/2006, 06:58 PM
me bubba again
no my name is kinda gone i guess.......umm...hmm...well i cant acces RC at skool now... unless me on teacher PC...really stinks... Mom let me on at home, but i have books here so that covers tank make-up...but i need info now on like the different kinds of salt water tanks like reef tanks etc., also i wanted to do something on like what can be together in a tank and what cant, like a mandarin doesnt go 2gether well with a lionfish that kinda stuff..., um i also can do an "interview" for extra credit(YES!!!) so im debating who i should interview...i was hoping maybe Anthony Calfo at the dinner friday...but im not sure if i would be able to...but really Mo i was thinking...maybe i could interview u about like how u started NCPARS or about REEFNEST...any kind of input helps me now guys...but it all has to be done by May 1. thanks again eveyone who is trying to help me.

bmkindig
03/06/2006, 09:19 PM
it Bubba again
Hey Mo do u have n e Mandarin pics or some nice clown pics... i found some nice pic on RC but i cant save then to our computer...something going wrong....

zooqi
03/07/2006, 12:32 AM
FRD can get you a good picture of mandrin for your project and as for clown fish I will have some pictures for you at the meeting and will work on them as of today :) You can interview me as long as you want as this is very important for me to see you work on your reef tank project than anything else. If there is anything else you want me to bring please let me know.

Fizz71
03/07/2006, 09:55 AM
I have several decent occ. clown shots on here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v93/Fizz71/Reef/2005-02-07%20February%207th%20-%202005/
..hosted by a leather.

I never did get a good shot of my mandarin since the glass was always crappy right at the sand, and that's where he stayed.

--Fizz

zooqi
03/08/2006, 02:17 AM
cool picture of the clown and leather. You can also go to reefnest main page and check PSU tank where you find clown fish hosting in a clam.

fizz: are those zo's always been the same color ?
I got three polyps of zo's and put them by the overflow and after a while they showed this color to m
http://reefnest.com/schools/mhs/32.jpg

rickyfins
03/08/2006, 03:47 AM
Nice! Great picture Mo! Love em. How are things going with reefnest? What progress have you made? It has been a while since we have chatted. I still think about those crazy swaps at your place. One coming up soon? I can't wait for the next meeting, I am interested in everybodies input. I have been posting my opinion as I can no longer hold it in. See ya at the next meeting. If ya need anything just give me a holla.

thanks

Rick

zooqi
03/08/2006, 09:15 AM
Rick, sup buddy ? long time no see and yes those were crazy meetings that wife does not want to see again as we don't think our insurance covers over 80 people on this old floor :)

we have been busy everyweek trying to educate public and had few success to bring new people to this hobby too.
We had a young reefer yesterday in the school because he answered all the questions we had about sea horses right and in return his name was entered to be drawn to win a nano tank. He got a tank, sand, 15 snails, 4 hermit crabs, LR, water, hydrometer, and two false percs. He will get few other stuff soon when I know his tank is doing well (forgot that I gave him food too). This was a victory for our team and hope soon we see him here in this forum. Every month we will have one or two and maybe more in the future.

We had a whole page in a publication to educate public about ocean and REEFNEST

People see the resulf of their support and always support us. With just few people in this group unlike other groups that are really big we have been moving as fast as we can but not as fast as we want (maybe someday).

We set plans and try to follow it

We have monthly meetings (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=775282&highlight=food)
where we have frags from school tanks, my tank, members as raffles, food everybody brings something and we teach kids or those who attend stuff.

This is the update of Montoursville High School (http://reefnest.com/schools/mhs/index.html)

And here is Loyalsock High School (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=750122&highlight=Loyalsock)

Our help with this systems is nothing more than educating public about ocean and educating somebody about something will help them respect it. We can educate people who have fish tanks (which we are ) Good clubs should be to educate members and public. I'm sure our last month program seahorses (http://reefnest.com/schools/mhs/18.jpg)
where we had seahorses in the little tank with all info educated and got some kids interest about this hobby. They had a piece of paper there to answer questions and if they get them all right they will be entered for a drawing and we had a winner. This month is America eel where man in PA heard of them to be in creeks and rivers and have not seen or know much about.

We have been invited to go to All Ohio and hope we see us involved with other clubs too.

The aquarium in MHS is 50 live rock and 50 MOMAKE rock and hopefully we can make all of it MOMAKE and less cutting rocks from the ocean.

We had members who visited DR Mac this month

We are organizing a big event May 6th

We have little aquariums in day cares where I can't take picture except pictures of the tank in our DIY section in the website

We are working weekly on stuff and trying our best and there are tons of stuff in this forum about stuff we have done that will be hard to put them all in one reply.

This is new club and for the amount of time we have been around, I think we have done good job.

Thanks to those who support us with corals, equipment, money, food for the meetings, attending meetings, posting in this forum, and also talking about us in other forums. Fishesrdelicouse works hard to organize stuff for us and he is like the VP of a big CEO where he organizes out activities.

Good to see you here and hope to see you here more and you have always been a good support.

Time for Mo daily ride to daycare, one of the schools, and work :)

rickyfins
03/09/2006, 02:37 AM
Great Mo! Wonderful to hear all is well. I want to thank you for recognizing me for my support as not many people have the professionalism to do such a thing. Although that is true, there isn't a thank you needed for my support. I also wanted to mention I have some things that you might be interested for your raffle at your swap. I know that support from businesses is always welcome. I am no longer a business but have a few drygoods left over from when I had the store. I am willing to give them to you without worry of where they end up or what you do with them. I trust that you will do the right thing. Why?, many of the other reefers may ask, because I know that Mo is an honest, outstanding citizen, who in the prime of his life has taken time to give back not only to the community but the environment as well. Have no fears or reservations about this man, he is the real deal. He will give it to you straight and hold nothing back. He has made great progress for this hobby in a short amount of time, so there shouldn't be any worries. I have seen those who claim to be like Mo, boy is their attitude different!

Mo let me know when you would like those things. I can dig around in my storage unit during my break from school to see what else I have. I know I have a lot of Seachem additives and such. Not all for saltwater but if you want it, it is yours for your cause with reefnest.

thanks dude and hang in there,

Rick

P.S. Only got to wait until July 1st, then the new kids are in town!

zooqi
03/09/2006, 02:59 AM
Thanks Rick again for your help and support. We started to get stuff from all over from people that I had my porch full and I heard enough about it from wife. I decided to go and rent storage so I can put what I get there. Jana and Mike Mussina kindly offered to help with that and this spring we will be taking all the stuff out and organize them. I can use anything I get and usually it goes to a good place. For example this week I wanted to give one of the students a prize, bought minibow from Wal-Mart, clownfish from LFS, LR I had at home, snails and hermits I have at home, gravel I have, and was looking for other stuff. Went to the storage and found a container of food, net, hydrometer and gave it to him. Soon he will be in this board. I go to school and his teacher who is a friend of mine comes to me with questions from Zack about his fish tank daily. I decided to put a box, few papers on it and have them put questions there, drop it in the box and I can print the answer and hang it on the board. I can take them of your hand next time I see you. Oh, and I almost forgot to ask who is the person you are talking about because I don't know him :)

rickyfins
03/09/2006, 04:37 PM
Sure you do! He is a member of NCPARS! There are actually two of them! Can anyone say last nights Chat room?

thanks dude,

Rick

bmkindig
03/14/2006, 02:18 PM
it me Bubba again
ok...well the topic is coral propagation now and i pretty much have everything at my fingertips now...(get it...the keyboard...ha...ha...yeah, oh well i tried) but seriously my Dad has the book on coral propagation (signed by Anthony Calfo) so that pretty much can be just about the whole project right there. I'll put in other stuff but that is my main info text right there. so now i need to quote the book, paraphrase it, etc. and i also need tro put it all together and also make my presentation. my main issue at the moment is my powerpoint and the pics that go with it. I know Mo has some great pics not only of the corals but he has some good ones from the Calfo Dinner. so Mo i dont know how that gonna work but i wanna see those eventually...the sooner the better. im gonna start setting up the powerpoint now so that i can add my info and pics into it as soon as i get them...need to make myself work on my project more... well thanks again to everyone who is helping me to accomplish this project,but i gotta go now i have schoolwork to do.

bmkindig
03/15/2006, 01:51 PM
it bubba again
hey Mo can i use the pic of those purple zoos for my project they really cool

zooqi
03/16/2006, 07:13 AM
Bubba, any pictures by me or any in REEFNEST.COM can be used and you don't have to ask me. The site is for students like you so you have full right to them all. Anybody can use them and we don't mind sharing what we have.

zooqi
03/16/2006, 12:21 PM
here is another reefer that I got permission from for you to use his picture
KYLE (http://reefcentral.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=26649)

bmkindig
03/17/2006, 03:06 PM
um how do i get to use his pictures...when i clicked his name i just got his profile...no pictures.

spoon25
03/17/2006, 03:39 PM
heres a mandarin, called the green striped mandarinfish(synchiropus splendidus) its a decent pic, i can do better ones if you need bubba....
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/spoonyluvr25b/DSCF0251tank4.jpg

spoon25
03/17/2006, 04:09 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/spoonyluvr25b/2006_0317seacrab20003.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/spoonyluvr25b/2006_0317seacrab20002.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/spoonyluvr25b/2006_0317seacrab20001.jpg

heres 3 more pics for ya bubbs

spoon25
03/17/2006, 04:13 PM
pic # 2 is the best shot of this mandarin...too bad i still didnt have my green spotted madarin, he was pretty also....he bubbs ya know how you can tell if its female or male?, the males have a more-elongated dorsal spine than females...

bmkindig
05/16/2006, 10:01 AM
hey
my oldest son just finished his end of year project on coral propagation, and we presented this morning i did a fragging demo in from of about 30 8th graders and like 3 teahers.
the teachers were really impressed and i might push them to start some kind of demo in from for there board of directors this could help get us going in the right direction if we do this as a club and not just me putting in effort to a school project.
the teacher took a bunch of pics (which i asked for copies of)
also i'd like to thank todd and veronica of something fishy for donating some small corals for the demo and alot of the people in the room seemed to be interested and actaully knew where the store was.the sad part was it took longer to set things up and tear down then they were actually used for and we only had 45 mins to give the presentation.
bye the way fizz that's for the extra "visual display" i had to tell the teachers that rorbert had nothing to do with that one,and that it belonged to the club.
i hope to have pics soon and will keep everyone posted.thanks to people that helped robert put this together behind the scences.

Fizz71
05/16/2006, 11:23 AM
Hah!...did anybody besides your son catch the spelling mistake?You might want to fix that. :) ..although he's the only one who noticed it so far.

But I'm glad it all went well.

--Fizz

bmkindig
05/16/2006, 11:27 AM
hey kevin
lol actully it was even looked at close enough to read since it was on the counter and the students were sitting and it was only there for the class period.