PDA

View Full Version : Worm ID please!!

Asfur
10/12/2000, 10:48 PM
Hi All
last night i noticed for the first time in my 1000l, f/o system these little pale coloured worms. They are about 1cm long and needle thin. They were swimming around the tank- or maybe even blown around by the water flow - in a strange spiralling motion. Eventually one landed on the front glass, and then tried to crawl along the glsas. It seemed to have3 hundreds of legs. It didnt look like a bristleworm.
All i can think is that i have started to restock after a complete wipe out 4 months ago, and last night introd the first fish(a very small purple tang). now there is a lot of algae covering the rock work and the tang spent most of last night picking at the algae. I think maybe these worms were under the algae, and with the tang eating the algae, the worms were exposed. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Asfur

nuff2000
10/13/2000, 08:58 AM
Asfur,

Not sure exactly what type worm these are, but I have them as well, and they seems to appear only after the lights are out. Once the lights (MH) come on, they disappear completely.

I don't believe they are any danger to anything.

david

Asfur
10/13/2000, 09:04 AM
david
LFS reakons nothing to be worried about either. Was also wondering how big they get. Mine seemed to have been released after the tang started nibbling at algae on the rocks. I looked again after the lights had gone out and didnt see them again. Will try again tonight.
Asfur

Asfur
10/13/2000, 04:40 PM
^^top^^

Asfur
10/14/2000, 12:13 AM
last try for more comments.....
thanks
asfur

Steve Richardson
10/14/2000, 08:16 AM
Hi Asfur -

You mean the little ones... say 1/2" long... white... leggy... and swim in the water column like a spinning corkscrew?

Asfur
10/15/2000, 03:26 AM
Steve
you the man...now can we put a name to it and a bit of info.
asfur