PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Life Span: Coral Banded Shrimp?

WantaBeReefer
01/04/2006, 08:20 PM
Does anyone out there have any idea of the average life span of a Coral Banded Shrimp? I have really become attached to mine and I know they can't live as long as fish. I was just curious as to how long someone has had one of these and how long they can be expected to live under good conditions? Thanks

Skepperz
01/04/2006, 08:56 PM
I have a pair and would also like to know their life span.

They are great arn't they!

Amphiprion
01/04/2006, 09:51 PM
You are generally looking at at least five years for a well-kept specimen. I had mine for 8 years until a hurricane came--fortunately (and unfortunately) it was the only thing I lost.

Skepperz
01/04/2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks Amphiprion, hopefully i will get atleast 5 considering they cost me $130Au.

They are the best little guys ever!

Do Pairs breed?

Skepperz

Amphiprion
01/04/2006, 11:03 PM
Yes, it is very common for pairs to spawn. Actually raising the larvae is another story. 130 Au dollars? Is it because it is a Caribbean species (like a Pacific species for us)?

Skepperz
01/04/2006, 11:30 PM
Is there much difference between the species?

And plus i live in Tasmania (the island down the bottom of Australia, just incase you didn't know) i think the postage is more to get down here.

I got some stuff sent by air freight from Life Reef recently, it cost me the world! never again! nothing against Life Reef though, great products!

Skepperz

Amphiprion
01/04/2006, 11:37 PM
Is there much difference between the species?

Well, yes and no. They are all part of the family Stenopodidae--and I assume the shrimp you got is Stenopus hispidus, so a Caribbean species. There are Indo-Pacific, Pacific, and Eastern Atlantic species as well. It is odd to think that common, cheap species for us (usually atlantic or caribbean) are expensive for you, and the opposite is probably true for you. I know this sounds crazy, but locally we get the same species for $8 US retail-$3.50 wholesale! Can you give some examples of prices for fish more common to your area?

Skepperz
01/05/2006, 12:08 AM
Well i paid 36 dollars for a bicolor blennie, is that allot for one of those little guys?

I will do a little research for you Amphiprion, anything else you would like to know?

Amphiprion
01/05/2006, 01:09 AM
I appreciate it and no, that will be plenty for now :). As for the blenny, it is not astronomical like the shrimp, but is roughly triple the price where I am.

Skepperz
01/05/2006, 04:15 AM
Just reading back through the thread, I didn't mention that i got the pair for 130Au.

I don't if that makes a difference for you?

WantaBeReefer
01/05/2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the information. I had no idea they could live that long. How can you tell the difference between a male and a female. Mine has several large blue humps on its abdomen area. Not sure if that would tell me if it a male of female or what that means. Thanks again.

barryw
01/05/2006, 06:40 AM
i'd like to give you an idea of what we are paying in adelaide. south aust.
fire angel $170-$200
royal dottyback $60
3" maxima clam $155
red shrimp (sorry can't remember full name) $199 not for a pair, just for one.
on the other side i have a duncanopsammia with about 25 polyps on it. i paid $20
all prices are $au which is buying about $.74 us at the moment

ANNIESREEF
01/05/2006, 08:17 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! My husband just "thinks" I spend too much!!!!:eek1: :eek2: