PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 gallon Hex

DemonFish
01/04/2006, 12:25 PM
Haven't posted here in a while, but i know you guys will be able to help me out. I'm getting ready to set up a 1.5 gal Hex and i've got a diy question. I was thinking it would be possible to increase the water amount by using a powerhead and a Jar. Run a hose from the Hex tank, mounted about 1 in into the tank, and have it connected to the powerhead intake. This would pull the water out of the show tank, and into the secondary chamber. I would secure the lid and all hose entrances with aquarium silicon, and have a return line to run back into the show tank. the pressure of the pump pulling the water into a seeled tank should force it back into the show tank right? and if i have the tubes only about an inch into the show tank i shouldn't have to worry about it siphoning out the whole tank in the event of a leak. I'd also plan on putting the jar in tupperware container just to be on the safe side. Does this sound like it would work? I'd also prolly toss some LR rubble in the jar to aid in filtration.

DemonFish
01/06/2006, 02:05 PM
No Help??? Well, guess i'll end up going at it alone. I would really appreciate your opinions though.

surfnvb7
01/06/2006, 02:28 PM
essentially what you are making is a closed loop, with a larger volume of "loop" that holds more water.

also, how do you plan on getting the wire coming out of the jar to supply power to the pump? it will be very difficult to make a water tight seal in that hole the wire comes out of the jar, i'm not sure silicone will hold it under that kind of water pressure coming from inside the jar.

other than that i don't see any reason why it will not work. but why such a small tank? is this for a desk at work or something like that? i'd use PVC instead of hoses in the actual tank, hoses have a nasty habit of detaching from the tank.

btw...join our new river valley club....lots of people from blacksburg are in it. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=262

DemonFish
01/06/2006, 05:33 PM
I ran the dimensions on the tank and it's actually a 2 gallon hex, but the main reason for the small tank is that i miss Saltwater tanks, and have little room left to place one. Over the summer i set up a 90gal FOWLR at home, but it had to stay there since i'm back out at school, it was also a present for my dad for his birthday. I have a 55gal FW tank out at school and a 10gal, and then this small hex that is on my desk in my room. I'm actually debating on the tank size, but want to keep it under 10gal. Maybe a minibow, but i do like the look of Hex tanks. it'll prolly get started this weekend.
I was originally planning to cut the cord on the PH so that i would only have to make a small hole in the lid, then crimp or use wire disconnects to hook it back together (definately making the reconnection waterproof!). PVC is also the plan for the plumbing.
Guess i'll just have to give it a shot... :D