PDA

View Full Version : Std 10 Gallon Lighting Help

spe934
01/03/2006, 03:01 PM
I currently have a 5 gallon corner tank on my desk in my cubicle (much better to look at that some plant). I was thinking that I have enough room for a standard 10 gallon tank instead (the 5 is acrylic and I don't really like it, for now it seems "cloudy" and it isn't my water). What would be the best lighting option for this size of a tank. Being on my desk at work, the more streamlined looking, the better. I am mostly interested in keeping LPS type corals in there (that is what I have now and would just like some more room and maybe a fish since everyone keeps asking where the fish is...). Any suggestions? Having no woodworking skills, this cannot be a DIY top :( It would look like my 3 year old did it.

NanoManMaster
01/03/2006, 03:22 PM
i would definantly go with the coralife aqualight 150 watt metal halide because it looks cool when set up and if u want sps u have the option and it works great for another bigger tank

Sugar Magnolia
01/03/2006, 04:05 PM
What are your plans for stocking? No need to go with a MH if you dont plan to keep acros or clams.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ESU-53101&Category_Code=Aqualight

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CU-ORBIT20&Category_Code=currentusa

Just a couple of ideas.

spe934
01/03/2006, 05:01 PM
The MH is cool, but the price tag makes it a bit more expensive than I planned on spending on a desktop aquarium. I will look into the aqualight and the current USA models. Thanks for the links Sugar Magnolia.

Sugar Magnolia
01/03/2006, 07:18 PM
NP. Be sure to shop around, there's some good deals to be had online.

surfnvb7
01/03/2006, 07:57 PM
Having no woodworking skills, this cannot be a DIY top It would look like my 3 year old did it.

how about a not so sober college graduate student?

that would be my canopy over my 20g. :lol: :lol: :lol:

spe934
01/04/2006, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415537#post6415537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfnvb7
how about a not so sober college graduate student?

that would be my canopy over my 20g. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My stand for my 30gal (which is located in my basement) looks horrible. I built it myself. Not much of a carpenter here, good thing you can buy homes already built or I would be living in one junky looking shack.

nUgZ
01/04/2006, 12:00 PM
I would go with the Current 2x40w 20" light system over the 96 quad. First, the Current has independent controls for the regular lamp, the actinic lamp, and the moonlights while the 96 quad is all or nothing. This gives you the ability to do a dawn/dusk setup. Second, the quad bulb will end up less than perfect after a while since the actinic portion of the bulb burns out faster. That means you will need to replace the bulb more often than would be optimal. Third, the fan in the Current actually seems to work while there have been several complaints about the 96 quad's fan. Just some food for thought. My vote is the Current all the way.

spe934
01/04/2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the input. i will check it out.