PDA

View Full Version : Question About 400W DE Bulbs

Trailer Trash
01/03/2006, 12:06 AM
I know how to use the search button but some "fresh" opinions might be good so please hold the "search" button comments to yourself
Haven`t posted here in a while and I see a few guys I am familiar with are now mods.
:eek2:

Ok, so I am taking down the 180 reef and going to a 92 corner tank which I can light with one 400 watter.

I have been a dedicated 400 watt Radium PFO HQI ballast believer/user for years.

I tried one 400 watt DE lamp, a Coralvue since this August. I light the middle of the 180 with Coralvue and the ends with Radiums
Don`t really like the Coralvue and found Radiums gave me better coloration.

Question is:
400 watters are limited in DE.
A search of the net showed a Hamilton 14K and PFO 10 and 20K
Coralvue lists 10,14, and 20K lamps .
Any other options?
I dont think I will use the Coralvue.
What about the 14k Hamilton?
Any "fresh" idea and experiences will be appreciated.
Probably should just go back to Radiums.

Thanks in advance.

geo
01/10/2006, 07:59 AM
<i>This thread has been moved to the current forum.</i>

Serda at www.phishybusiness.com is using the avalon 20k over a few of his tanks. It looks much like the radium to my eye. I almost went with the 400 watt DE and that is the bulb I was going to use. It looks nice, I can't say anything about growth though.

elephen
01/10/2006, 08:34 AM
When I was in the market for new lighting I was trying to find 400w DE and the market out there is VERY limited for 400w DE stuff, there are a few out there but not many. So I got a SLS HQI ballast and a pair of Radiums and wow, been with them ever since.

Just my 2 cents :)

Trailer Trash
01/12/2006, 12:30 AM
Why thankie there for the replies. I am going to give the Hamilton 14K DE a shot but I ordered a new "old stadyby" Radium also.
Just in case.