PDA

View Full Version : DIY Chiller questions

rioratholenm
01/02/2006, 03:43 PM
I am going to make a chiller out of a small refrigerator, the plans call for 50 to 100 feet of plastic tubing inside the frig. but instead i was thinking of useing 50 feet of Stainless steel coil that is used in bars and restraunts to cool beer and soda, inside of a chopped 5 gal. bucket with water inside of it. will i have and problems with corrosion from the salt, and build up from the waste. i think i would be able to controll build up with a foam filter over the intake of the pump feeding the chiller. My main worry is rust !, should i just stay with cheap plastic tubing? if you ask how are you going to controll the cooling and heating? I am going to use a Temp. controller hooked up to the pump so it should only cool when the temp. gets too hot and if it gets too cool the heater would kick on. i was thinking of useing a Aqua Logic Digital Temperature Controller - Dual Stage, so it could controll a mag 7 for the cooling and a 150W heater. In theory it could work?
If you ask why i need a chiller its because i cannot get my temp. to go down past 79-80 and if i want to get MH this will be a huge problem, I want to stay around 76-78 beacuse I want to prop. Xenia and they grow best between these temps. Your input is appreciated, thanks

rioratholenm
01/02/2006, 03:51 PM
ok scrap the metal idea, any other ideas

BruiseAndy
01/02/2006, 04:11 PM
Buy a chiller, you'll save money in the long run.

BeanAnimal
01/02/2006, 06:15 PM
Your wasting your time with a dorm fridge. The same old tired arguements are going to pop up... but in the end it's a wate of time. If the dorm fridge works for you, then so will evaporative cooling.

Buy a chiller, esp if you are going to propogate corals for profit.

BTW I run 82F and my xenia is thriving and out of control. It is nice and white/pink, not dark purple.

Bean