PDA

View Full Version : Best 10g Nano-Reef EVER

Travis Savant
12/31/2005, 12:13 PM
Hey guys and gals. As most of you know I have a 20H SPS tank in the works and right now it's going through it's cycle so I have nothing to do/spend my money on untill it's finished. Since I have an SPS tank, this will be my "other coral" tank. I will have all sorts of corals from Zoas to LPS and everything inbetween, I may even have a Crocea Clam.

Euipment:
- SeaClear Rectangular 10g.
- The tank will be drilled to occomodate a CLS with a chamber to hide the heater and run carbon and will utilize a Squid SCWD. No visable equipment will be in the tank except the Locline returns for the CLS. For the CLS pump I am going to be using a Hydro Seltz pump rated for 450 GPH.
- For lighting, I bought a Current USA Satalite 1x40w PC fixtrue with white LED moonlight. I will be modding the fixture to house a 70w 10k MH bulb and TWO 18w Actinics and keep the LED for the moonlight.
- ATOS

Inhabitants / Biological Filtration:
- 15-17lbs. of LR.
- 20lbs. of Figi Pink LS.
- Various corals (Only a few SPS) and a Clam.
- 3 fish which are 1) a Firefish, 2) a Yellow Watchman Goby, and 3) a Black-Lined Blenny.
- Since I won't have an external fuge, I will be growing some type of macro algae in the display, but not alot of it. Only one type.
- And of course the Clean-Up Crew.

I will be transfering everything from the Pico into this tank.

I should be getting all of my orders in some time this week, so I will have some pics up by next weekend.

surfnvb7
12/31/2005, 06:00 PM
if you want to do zoas/LPS in this tank, forget the 10k 70w MH. just go for a 150w MH that is 20k instead, it will make the corals "pop" with some good color ;)

i think its about the same price also to just buy the 150w ballast instead of the 70w ballast on some of the retros out there.....also you'll get a MUCH MUCH MUCH better selection of bulbs to choose from.

and as always, i'd recomend having a seperate sump/fuge under the tank. more water adds to better quality, and is more forgiving if something gets messed up.

sounds good!!

Travis Savant
01/01/2006, 01:15 AM
I think that instead of using thw MH + PC Combo, I will just go with an AB20k MH Bulb :)

surfnvb7
01/01/2006, 02:12 AM
70w or 150w? the 20k 70w aren't worth getting IMO. they are sooooo dim, a 96w quad PC would be stronger.

Travis Savant
01/01/2006, 08:55 AM
What about the Australux 14k, good bulb? Do you know where I can find one?

Cutiewitbooty
01/01/2006, 10:24 AM
Can't wait to see it!! Be sure to put lots of pics :D

Travis Savant
01/01/2006, 10:44 AM
Sure deal Amber :)

Travis Savant
01/01/2006, 06:49 PM
Can anyone recomend some type of good looking macro algae that is green in color. I am thinking Calurpa, but I'm not sure if it would over run the tank.

Cutiewitbooty
01/01/2006, 06:58 PM
I used to use the green calurpa in my ecosystem for my 46 gal. It does grow kinda fast but as long as you keep it trimmed it keepd it in control. The only thing is that there is a chance it could go "sexual" and mess up your tank unless you keep the lighting on over them 24/7. Cheato might be a better idea, but i think it will just float around your tank, but i guess you might be able to anchor it to a rock or something.