PDA

View Full Version : Little Giant Replacement in a hurry

stubbsz
12/31/2005, 11:55 AM
We had a short power out in San Jose and my Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC didn't want to restart. I got a sudden whining/screeching sound from it for a couple of seconds while I dived to cut it off. I haven't looked after it very well I don't think.

I took it out and cleaned up minor junk from the impellor housing, and nothing in there looks damaged. Not sure if I want to plumb it in again and try it. The fan end looks pretty dusty and nasty.

Anywhere locally that I can get a decent price on this pump or an equivilant pump. Or is On-line gonna save me a packet?

What equivilant would people recommend and why?

Right now I have one small rio 600 doing turning over in the 100g tank, should I dig out some more power heads or do something else while I'm looking for a pump.
-Adrian

racrumrine
12/31/2005, 08:10 PM
You don't say whether or not you have a sump.

If so, don't forget to move the heater into the main tank.

When my pump went out, I was able to rig up Hagen 802 powerhead to keep some flow going between the sump and the main tank (but, I still moved the heaters to the main tank).

While you are looking for a replacement, I would place as many powerheads as you can in the main tank. The number really depends on what is in the tank and how much flow or aeration you need.

Best of luck,

Roy

stubbsz
12/31/2005, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I have a sump. I don't think I've seen an in-line pump like a Little Giant used without a sump?

Anyway, good advice about heater... although mine is already in the main tank as it was a little tricky to put it in the sump; the baffles always got in the way and its a long heater.

I remembered I had a Tunze stream for my next project... that is really moving the water well... should have had this bad boy hooked up before, I could surf the waves along the surface.

Everything looks really happy now.

Thanks

I've decided to buy on-line and have gone with a panworld pump.

-Adrian

BoomerD
12/31/2005, 08:23 PM
Not sure how old your LG pump is, but most of them have/had small plugs where you are supposed to oil them every 6 months...use something like 3-in-one oil...only takes a couple of drops...

stubbsz
12/31/2005, 11:06 PM
Yes they do. And I can't remember last time I gave it some oil. Maybe that was what I did wrong.