PDA

View Full Version : 10g Fish List

Travis Savant
12/30/2005, 03:46 PM
Hey guys and gals.

I am setting up a 10g in the next few weeks and was looking into my fish options. I went on LiveAquaria.com's website and looked around in the Nano Fish section (Fish that can be kept in a 10 gallon) and I have found three fish that I chose for several reasons.

Reason 1: The fish I have chosen are all ranked as peacful, so they all should get along.

Reason 2: The fish I have chosen have each a different type of territor, one open water/rocks, another rocks and sand, and the last is strictly sand. This will make it easier for them to all live together without being crowded.

Reason 3: The fish I have chosen all have great personalities from what I have read from other peoples experience. Which inturn will make this tank more enjoyable to whatch which is the entire point of reef tanks, right?

Here is the list of the fish I have chosen.

Firefish (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=168)
Court Jester Goby (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=164)
Yellowhead Jawfish (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=188)

For this tank, filtration will be simple. About 15-17lbs. of LR, 20lbs. of LS, Macro Algae grown in the display, and a bag of Carbon changed once every two weeks. And ensure success, I will not be introducing these fish untill after 6 months of stable params post cycle. During this time, post cycle to introduction of fish, I will stock up on Soft Coral, Shrooms, Zoanthids, and LPS, and they too will also aid in nutrience export.

So, what do you all think? Will I be successful in keeping my chosen fish in this size of a tank?

surfnvb7
12/30/2005, 04:25 PM
looks like you've done a good bit of research which is great!! I would go ahead and start your tank, focusing on just getting stable parameters and clean up crew functioning well. You have the right idea though, take it slooooooow. I don't think you really need to wait 6months, but if you feel more comfortable doing that then thats up to you. I think you could add 1 fish at 3 months, then another in a couple months after that, given your parameters are stable.

IME, I have changed what fish I am interested in so many times over a couple of months waiting to put fish in the tank, so I wouldn't really worry about it yet.

I think 3 fish is pushing it in a 10g. unless they are even smaller than what you have listed (i'm thinking blue stripe neon goby and clown goby). I think 3 fish would be possible in a 10g, that had a seperate sump/fuge beneath the tank to add to the overall amoun of water in the system, and possibly the need of a small skimmer.

Specifically, there are a couple of problems with the fish you listed....but I'm sure others have varying experiences with them.

Firefish, really need alot of room to swim, I think 10g is too small. Plus, they are big time jumpers...I think in a small tank, they will be more at risk for jumping. I know people have done it, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Court Jester Goby, or Ranifordi Goby, really needs a larger live sand bed than in a 10g. I haven't seen too many people keep these alive long term. They are sand sifters, and eat mostly stuff in the sand bed. You might be able to try one, but I wouldn't attempt it unil your tank is close to a 10-12months old.

Jawfish I thought needed deep sand beds, b/c they burrow into little caves in the sand. No experience with them though, seems a bit small for a 10g though.

Good job planning though. You seem to know your stuff, and not jumping into it without doing your homework.

btw, look into yellow or green clown gobys / citron gobys, they are perfect for a 10g.

Travis Savant
12/30/2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks surfnvb7. Some one on Nano-Reef.com where I posted this same post said that the Ranifordi Goby was like a Mandrarin Goby and that it needed lots of Pods and Liked hair algae. I think I will subbstitute the Ranifordi with a Neon Goby or Clown Goby.

The Jawfish Dosn't seem to be much of a swimmer and dosn't leave the sight of it's burrow too often, so I think it will be fine with a 3-4 inch sandbed.

The Firefish...I think I am going to go ahead and get him small and later down the road if he seems unhappy with the size of th tank, I can transfer him to my already set up 20H, where he will deffinantly be happy.

Thanks again surfnvb7 :)

surfnvb7
12/30/2005, 04:38 PM
just make sure the tank has a glass lid, and a totally enclosed canopy for the fire fish. if its an open top tank, it will jump.

I had a ranifordi goby once, I dont think its like a mandarin at all. it may eat tiny tiny amphipods/worms in the sand.....and I NEVER saw it eat hair algae......thats a new one, never heard of that...and kinda doubt it...lol

dont keep them with coral banded shrimp though....my CBS cut my ranifordi in half after a week in the tank...doh.

clown gobys are pretty neat. they like to perch on corals/rocks.

Jordan55
12/30/2005, 04:40 PM
Jawfish-- Should have 3-4 inch sandbed.... I have them happy in a 2 inch. Have a tight lid... they jump.

Firefish-- Mine hid all the time. And they jump also.... so have a tight lid.

Rainford goby-- Needs a bigger sand bed. I say no on this. I had one in a 55 gallon and he still looked skinny.

I would go with the jawfish and 1 more swimming fish like a clown, or the firefish.... or something similar.

I have kept all 3 of these fish... so I have personal experiences.

Travis Savant
12/30/2005, 04:41 PM
surfnvb7, the tank I will be using is a SeaClear 10g. I will be constructing an acrylic cover to securly contain the fish :cool:

Travis Savant
12/30/2005, 04:42 PM
Jordan55, thanks for your experienced info.