PDA

View Full Version : Aquapod first impressions

kindaobsessed
12/29/2005, 04:57 PM
Saw an Aquapod 12 gallon today at an LFS and these are my initial observations: Keep in mind it was empty with no water, lights, or pump running. By the way, I was honestly hoping the Pod would've knocked my socks off.

1. The tank looks significantly larger than my 12 gallon JBJ Nano--taller and wider. A JBJ was sitting right next to the Aquapod model. Maybe its a true 12g versus the approximately 9 gallon capacity JBJ.

2. The lid does not close tightly--at least in the front. Light will escape there. Anal folks like me may find that annoying.

3. The black plastic film glued to the outside of the back compartments looks cheap. It was already bubbling and the adhesive was separating.

4. No LED moonlights were installed. I thought it came with it already in. Also, didn't see a separate ballast.

5. When opening the lid, it made a noticable clicking noise. Not sure why that was.

6. The Current Nano Skimmer is too large to fit in the back of the JBJ, but fit fine in the Aquapod.

All in all, not significantly impressed--yet. While bigger (which is always a good thing), it didn't look like the home run so many have predicted. You'd think a company could've copied all the good of the JBJ and added improvements before selling it to the public. Since there aren't too many cracking issues of the 12 gallon JBJ, the 24 g will be the interesting comparison. The LFS didn't have a 24 Aquapod yet.

Feel free to chime in if you already set up an Aquapod or at least have seen one.

My 2 cents.

just dave
12/29/2005, 08:37 PM
The ones I saw had the LEDs installed,they where just hard to see at first. They looked like screws. They also have more powerful lighting,a directional return nozzle,and a true surface skimming filter inlet. And the biggest part is they are being sold by a US company that has always been great about standing behind its products(let us hope that does not change.)

As a side note. Another large ,well known,aquarium products company is supposed to have some Nano tanks coming out next year.

Hanauma-Reef
12/29/2005, 10:53 PM
You can hardly see the led's but turn them on and there there...very bright...I love my tank...

VinnyTheIcepick
12/30/2005, 12:26 AM
I will be getting my Aquapod 24 with PC and skimmer tomorrow. I hope it rocks!

kjoz
01/01/2006, 05:26 PM
I just set up my 12gal AquaPod yesterday. My observations:

1) I too noticed the lid click when you open it all the way to expose the back filter area.
2) The LED blue lights are there and they are beautiful in a darkened room.
3) The surface skimmer is a very good "addition" that will save a few fishy lives, I'm sure.
4) My LFS also had a 12gal NanoCube sitting next to the 12galAquaPod and the Pod does look larger.
I'll try to keep you all posted as my tank matures.
kjoz

doncb
01/01/2006, 05:48 PM
Just to get your paranoia up.

The glass on the 12g AP is thinner than the 12g NC (2006 model).

smy168
01/03/2006, 12:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6383097#post6383097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VinnyTheIcepick
I will be getting my Aquapod 24 with PC and skimmer tomorrow. I hope it rocks!

Did you get your 24? waiting on mine and would love to get a glimps of the packaging.

kindaobsessed
01/03/2006, 07:53 AM
Yeah Pick,

I'd like to know as well.