PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for a Refugium

Mephistopheles
03/24/2002, 11:38 AM
My nitrates are usually about 20 ppm on a regular basis and I was thinking about installing a refugium to grow macro algae and try for an efficient system of nitrate export.

This may be overkill as everything is going well in my tank and the nitrates seem relatively low. I do five gallon water changes weekly with natural seawater I get at my LFS.

I have a glass sump tank below main 60 gal aquarium.
Problem is that because the sump is glass, it cannot be drilled from the side to do a nice little water circuit to a refugium sitting next to it. Complicating my sump problem is that it is sort of locked in place and cannot be readily removed/replaced because the drain from my tank was glued in after the sump was put in place. The drain essentially locks the sump into the cavity below.

What I was wanting to do is put a small refugium with a DSB and macroalgae next to the sump and put in some kind of pump that would 1) draw water out of the sump; and 2) returm water to the sump at the same rate. If the pump fails, the water level would be the same with no overflow.

Is there a pump system that does this? Or is this the elusive Holy Grail that is the basic problem for all water circuits.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marty
Newbie Reefkeeper in his 4th Month!

jtown
03/24/2002, 11:43 AM
maybe a gravity and one pump setup? one pump goes from ref. to main tank and then another gravity line from tank to ref.?

just a thought. this way you only need one pump and if it stops working you won't get any overflow if you do it right.

Snailman
03/24/2002, 04:28 PM
If you can't drill the tank for a gravity feed drain then get another tank. Walmart and lots of other places sell rectangular plastic containers in the $5 range. I have used one for a refugia and another one for a surge device. You can drill them with a hole saw for the bulkhead fitting. Look on <b><a href="http://reefcentral.com/diy/">ReefCentral's DIY Page</a></b> for some ideas. Trying to balance two pumps so they don't vary is not something you want to try to do and one day one of them will get a very ting piece of algae in it and it will slow down one tablespoon of water an hour and you will come home to a flood.