PDA

View Full Version : You guys owe me BIG!

LFSmarineguy
12/27/2005, 11:56 AM
I already posted elsewhere but I thought I might share some of my holiday experiences with your extended family. I have no idea how many of you I have saved from the scarring experience of opening a heavy box on christmas day only to find a floating fish inside. This was my second christmas doing this and I can honestly say I dread the month of Dec. Relatives, trying to get a fellow hobbyist something nice come in wanting to get fish of all sorts to put in tanks they know nothing about.
You'd be amazed the kind of horrible judgement of size people have. One says it's a 10 the other says it's a 75. I came across a woman who's 10 gal. (she gave me the measurements) magically was able to contain 30 gals. of water (she insisted). Countless of you were saved from Lion Fish/ Triggers/ Groupers/ Box Fish/ Puffers/ Eels/ etc. I think it's great that these people like the hobby enough to want to live vicariously through our tanks. But the multitude of people who want to argue with me over what their loved ones would like in their tank amazes me.
One memorable customer asked me if saltwater fish could live in an outdoor pond... I replied "yes...it's called the ocean." He wasn't happy but he wanted to put these colorful fish in his son's pond.
Long story short, I did what I could and saved as many as possible (both fish and hobbyists), you guys owe me BIG!

MATTT
12/27/2005, 12:06 PM
No !!! I owe you nothenng !!!! :lol: No thanks to you, I get nothing for Christmas this year. :mad:

Shooter7
12/27/2005, 12:16 PM
LOL...interesting viewpoint. I'll have to be remember to school my relatives well. Although, my wife has it deep set in her mind that her much wanted dogface puffer is going into my reef tank....not. :rolleyes:

LFSmarineguy
12/27/2005, 12:38 PM
try leaving a list of "dream livestock" out somewhere that it can be found easily by family members next year, lol.

Paul Stevenson
12/27/2005, 12:43 PM
Oh crap!

xtrstangx
12/27/2005, 12:48 PM
I asked for gift certificates to Marine Depot and such, but asked for nothing else from my relatives. "Hey, whaddya know...a new wet/dry filter... I can see the nitrates already"

coyoteseven
12/27/2005, 12:54 PM
I threatened friends and family with a slow, agonizing purple nurple if they bought me anything even closely aquaria related this year.

Seemed to work very well... ... ... I got diddly-squat. :lmao:

dad300
12/27/2005, 12:55 PM
I gave my wife the list... all books and hardware. :)
she has figured out that I need to at least be around when She picks the fish.

OceanSpray
12/27/2005, 08:11 PM
Good to know somebody at a LFS has a conscious. Most in my area will just sell anyone anything. If you want to put a dogface puffer in your reef tank, without knowing....they would never say a word. They won't lie, but you have to ask them a direct, specific question, and pay close attention to the answer. Ever deal with a used car salesman?:hmm2:

Chaotic Reefer4u
12/27/2005, 08:16 PM
wow

snakeklr
12/27/2005, 08:22 PM
lol my wife ot me 2 damsels thinking they looked cute and would look nic in my tank

dr.darkness
12/27/2005, 09:02 PM
I don't owe you anything,I don't believe in xmas so next xmas you're not getting anything from me either...lol...

G_cuvier
12/28/2005, 11:23 AM
LOL

I have a neighbor who looks after her company's 500g tank. She told me they were moving and they were going to upgrade to a 6' tank.... After questioning we determined that the dimensions were those of a 50 or 55 gallon.... But she thought it was 10 times the volume....

That would hold several Tangs I'm sure..... :rolleyes: