PDA

View Full Version : New lights

ReefRacer
12/26/2005, 01:57 PM
I got 2 actinic 03 65 watt bulbs for Christmas. I put these in my old smartlite and was pleased when they both worked (it had sit for years unused). Then I struggled to mount it in the canopy next to the halide pendants, while still allowing the lid to close. I finally got it mounted and turned it on and some plain brown zoos were orange with a green ring around them, and a bunch of stuff was flourescent. Problem is when the halides (10000k) are on you can hardly even tell the actinics are on. All the flourescense is gone. Kind of a bummer but you keep learning. Any suggestions? I was wondering about the canopy lights that have halides which have to be far from the water, and vho or pc which should be closer to the water. It seems like the non halide par is kind of wasted.

gflat65
12/26/2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah, a 10K 250 DE will definitely cancel out your actinics. I'm running AB's. The corals will look great, though, over time...

Runner
12/26/2005, 10:40 PM
I would think that 130W of actinic would add some color, though, even though the flourescence is cancelled. That is 25% of your light. I only have 60W of actinic to compete with my 2x175W lights, so I don't expect to see anything until the 10pm to 11pm hour when my MH go out and I have my "dusk" cycle (like right now). Amazing what all glows in our tanks.