PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Idea

Reef_Dweller_69
12/25/2005, 08:01 PM
Do you guys think this is doable? I want to make an overflow for a tank that is not drilled nor can be drill ( tank fully loaded). I don't want to use an overflow with a siphon tube. I was thinking of trying to design an overflow for non drilled tank that works sort of like an in tank overflow but hangs on back. Wast thinking the part that is inside the tank would be tall enough to fill up past the top of tankand run over to the out side through either a hole or some sort of openning and into the outside compartment with the drain pipe/tube. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

zooqi
12/26/2005, 09:23 AM
Your Hex tank frame size is standard and you should be able to use overflow with that. Most of the overflows are adjustable so you can lower it or raise it. If the glass is not tempered and even if is full somebody with good experiece can drill it for you and as a matter of fact experience person can drill the bottom of the tank without emptying the tank (kinda risky and don't recommend but can be done). So you should be fine with the overflow and siphone. I just read the part that you said you don't want to use the siphone and to do this you will have to do tons of adjustments like gluing around the frame and making it flat or removing one side. Tilt the tank a little to that side (lots of adjustment in the stand part (not recommended) and then building acrylic box around it from outside.. (not good). You can drill the top or cut if with drimmel and avoide that or use overflow.

zooqi
12/26/2005, 09:25 AM
check this style and might help. Was not sure if I could find if and that's why did not type it earlier..

overflow (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=603816&highlight=Overflow+drill)

sorry this is not what I wanted to share but I will keep looking for the other thread.

sorry for all the edit in this post but here is the other thread

overflow external (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=271539&highlight=external+overflow)

Reef_Dweller_69
12/26/2005, 10:53 AM
Tanks Mo. The link has another link that help me out with what i really wouldlike to do, but will do it on my next tank. I really need a different tank. This hex is very difficult for me to work with being that I am so short. For me to work with the rock or do anything in the bottom or middle my whole arm is in the tank. I was thinking of posting asking for a trade for a longer shorter tank. Just something around the same size as this one (35 to 45 gal). I will get another tank sometime down the road in the future. What do you think?

zooqi
12/26/2005, 12:29 PM
I do agree on that and I would trade you a tank but I don't have the stand for it. I did have stands in the past but not anymore. Just wait and you will see somebody else who will have a good deal. For now just let the tank, rocks, establish so you have most of the stuff.

Reef_Dweller_69
12/26/2005, 01:18 PM
I was going to build me a stand from 2x4 I dont really need to have a stand come with the tank. I can do one in a day or two.

zooqi
12/26/2005, 03:48 PM
Ok, if you want that I will trade you the hex for another tank that might be same size and will give you few stuff to make up for the stand. I can use hex for sea horses. I had two and sold them few months ago. Lets plan it and get you out of the hex fever.

Reef_Dweller_69
12/26/2005, 03:58 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. What are the dimensions of the tank?

zooqi
12/26/2005, 04:37 PM
you got me there and I will have to go and check that sometimes tomorrow.

Reef_Dweller_69
12/26/2005, 04:55 PM
ok good deal, and thanks.

zooqi
12/26/2005, 04:56 PM
You welcome and I should be in your area right after the new year so I will see you next year :D

Reef_Dweller_69
12/26/2005, 04:59 PM
LOL,ok.

Reef_Dweller_69
12/27/2005, 02:07 PM
Mo if you can it would be a big help if you could get the tank dimensions to me. That way I can get a head start on getting the stand together. Thanks a bunch buddy.