PDA

View Full Version : No Output on Typhoon 3

kirstenk
12/24/2005, 01:32 AM
My unit will not put out RO/DI water. It will produce RO. Takes TDS from high 700's down to 20. I took it apart and put it back together, still no RO/DI...............?????????????

gussy
12/24/2005, 02:35 AM
You sure the hose from the RO to DI is not kinked or maybe you have an auto shut off installed incorrectly?

If you unplug the water going to the DI is water coming out?

kirstenk
12/24/2005, 12:53 PM
VooDoo........works this morning. I use it outside, maybe the temp......???....... Thanks for the input.

gussy
12/24/2005, 07:24 PM
Can't be...my water is really chilly right now. When I first installed it and turn on the water, the water did not come out until about 2 minutes later.

kirstenk
12/24/2005, 08:58 PM
Your right. It only worked for awhile again. All water lines going into thr RO Membrane are clear. Once in the membrane no water comes out either of the purified lines. I am getting a new membrane from a fellow reefer. I am just surprised that a membrane could be so clogged that nuttin' comes out.

Unresistible Blue
12/25/2005, 06:06 AM
What is your water temperature? What is your water pressure?

manderx
12/25/2005, 02:38 PM
it might be a sticky auto-shutoff. pull it and try again. no matter how clogged it is, you should get something coming out the waste line. also look to see if the flow restrictor is clogged.

Unresistible Blue
12/25/2005, 09:27 PM
So nothing is coming out of the waste line either??

Bebo77
12/25/2005, 10:29 PM
you have the connections wrong or not enough pressure.

raddogz
12/25/2005, 10:37 PM
Low pressure will cause it to come out to a measly drip.

kirstenk
12/26/2005, 12:10 AM
I don't know what the water temp is but it was 80 degrees here today so I don't think that is a factor.

My water pressure is extremely high. I have to be careful to keep the unit at 75 on the pressure guage.

Water does come out the waste line. It does not come out either of the purified lines. RO or RO/DI

The connections are correct. It worked prior to the problem and I had not touched it.

A couple months ago, the unit fell and the valve where the water leaves the RO Membrane broke. This valve has a restrictor in it. While waiting for a new valve I went and purchased another one and installed a 90 gpd restrictor. I am thinking this larger restrictor helped clog the membrane maybe.

Tomorrow I will have a new 75 gph membrane and see if that solves the problem. The only other thing I can think is that the valve with the restrictor is not working......all of a sudden.........?????????........

purelyh2o
12/26/2005, 02:27 AM
Maybe this was mentioned above but I missed it.

The flow restrictor makes all the difference in the world.
If your flow restrictor is allowing too much flow you will see the results you are seeing.

How many GPD is your RO system.

When you say 90 gpd ro system do you have a ml per minute spec on it by chance.

Im just not framiliar with a 90gpd restrictor.

Bryan Crenshaw

Unresistible Blue
12/26/2005, 06:18 AM
Hmm. If your restrictor was too restrictive - i.e. brought you to a 1:1, or even less, that can encourage your membrane to scale. In your case you installed a 90 gpd restrictor on a 75 gpd system. That should have left you with a waste:permeate ratio higher than 4:1. You need to have a pressure gauge on the system to see what pressure the membrane is seeing - I suspect it is too low for the system to function. Hopefully you purchased a flow restrictor matched to your new membrane.

Blue

purelyh2o
12/28/2005, 11:25 PM
So what ever happened with the system?

Did you get the new restrictor?

Bryan Crenshaw

kirstenk
12/29/2005, 01:02 AM
VooDoo........My friend came over Monday with the new membrane and we looked at the Typhoon. Hooked it to the hose and the thing worked and not just for awhile. I purified 30 gallons on Monday and 30 on Tuesday. TDS = 0.

purely.........I do think my membrane will not last as long this time due to the 90gpd restrictor I used for a couple of days. That restrictor came from Spectrapure. I was in a pinch when I used it. Spectrapure told me I could cut the restrictor line thingie and I did. They told me how to measure so that I was not putting too much thru but I did'nt do that.

My friend thinks maybe it was air.

Whatever......it works now and I am happy.

purelyh2o
12/29/2005, 01:48 AM
Good to hear your up and running!

Bryan Crenshaw