PDA

View Full Version : something to think about

bighanzee
03/23/2002, 01:57 AM
Good Day all
Just want to tell everyone about my experience.
I’ve been in the reef world for about 12+ years. I’ve moved around about every 4 years, so I’ve gained some experience along the way. I've always had a 65g tank. When I first started a reef tank, I used all the good stuff, like Fiji rock, tons of live sand, protein skimmer, additives, filters, best lighting, and still for some reason I always seem to have problems. (Alkalinity/calcium/PH/algae, etc...)
Last January 2001, I started a new 65g tank. (Old non/drilled tank).(moved again). First, I layer is an old under gravel filter, than about 2� of crush corals on top and about 3� of live sand. I bought about 30lbs of live rock and used about 60lbs of limestone (honeycomb type). I let the whole thing cycle for about 2 months with 2 old actinic bulbs (total 80watts). I dumped a bunch of Red/blue hermits and many snails. After the 2 month cycle, I bought a Tang, 4 damsels, 6 peppermint shrimp, 1 emerald crab, and 1 sally lightfoot crab. I also bought 1 bubble, hammer coral, a flower pot and many mixed mushrooms. All these items have been in the tank for the past year and everything is doing extremely well. I have a lot of coral algae growing and no sign of bad algae or problems with the quality of the water. One of my friends can’t believe how well my tank is doing.
Here is the catch, I don’t have a skimmer, don’t have a sump, don’t have a filter. I use 3 powerheads for circulation and I use 1x96w smart light with 1x40 watt 10000k and 1x40 watt actinic light. I have never added any type of additives to the water. (PH/Alkalinity/Calcium is all within normal levels).
I use tap water (in bucket for 2 days with air stone) for top off /water changes. (5g/week water change) and the tank looks great.
My point is, do we need all that expensive equipment or maybe we should stay with the basics. (let the tank do the work)
Ok, maybe in a year or so it won’t be the same story, but for now all is well and beautiful.
What do you all think?
I will be have some pics of my tank shortly. (as soon as my buddy brings his digital)
Norm out.....
:rolleyes:

asmodeus
03/23/2002, 08:03 AM
It's funny how some people can have all the perfect gear, And there tank with crask like every 4-6 months with algae or some thing, then some people just have the basic to run a tank...
And have a great tank that will go for years
I would loveto see some pictures of that tank Norm..

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

bighanzee
03/23/2002, 02:23 PM
asmodeus; Have you noticed, that some of the reefers are more interested in the equipment other reefers have, than the tank itself. Why is that? I think the companies selling this equipment are happier that the reefers.
One thing I do agree with and will eventually have is a sump/refugium (DIY). Nothing else.

I'm in the process of building a new stand/canopy which will hold a 20g sump. Pics and plans soon to follow.

By the way asmodeus, I'm from NB (Fredericton) and we both work for the same chief of defense.
Norm.........
:)

Yellotang
03/23/2002, 02:32 PM
sometimes simple works for people. Other times some people want to keep things more demanding that simple just won't cut it. Sometimes people love gadgets. Sometimes people don't want to slave over a tank because of the simplicity of it (Total automation).

But usually what I have found is that the people that have the simple tanks also are the ones who do massive water changes or have unexplained die offs.

What do I like?, I love the corals, there fore I will pay for the equipment to house them and not make excuses for being cheap!

bighanzee
03/23/2002, 02:56 PM
I must be an exception to this rule.
I don't think 5g is massive water change and go back and read about the problems some people have even with all that equipment.
I'm not saying that my way is the best and by all means, I'm not cheap. (Quick to juge)
Don't think that I don't check what other people have for equipment, I too love gadgets.
Norm...

;)

asmodeus
03/23/2002, 02:58 PM
well what's you Surname norm
And,What part of the army are you in..:eek1:

:bum:

bighanzee
03/23/2002, 03:07 PM
I forgot to use post reply.
The above is to you Yellotang

asmodeus
03/23/2002, 05:29 PM
Well there Norm ,
i would have to go with you on that one 5 gal is not alot unless it's a 10 gal tank.:thumbsup:
Now if it is for a 500 gal change well you figure out that one ....
:wildone:

cwa46
03/23/2002, 06:54 PM
bighanzee,

WOW, you must be the best reefer I have ever heard about!!!

bighanzee
03/23/2002, 07:29 PM
No, not the best. Just though I'd try something different, and it's working for me.
It's sad to see people so negative toward others success.
Thanks for the reply anyway cwa46.
Norm...:)

slug
03/23/2002, 08:37 PM
I think cwa46 was being sarcastic because your post in this forum, the diy forum, seems kind of like a taunt. It isn't the "do aquarium stuff your special way" forum its the build equipment yourself forum, usually just for the fun and satisfaction of building it yourself and/or to save money. So your point that you don't need expensive equipment in this forum is kinda of silly. I guess my point is you're blowing your own horn in the wrong forum.

dattack
03/24/2002, 12:46 AM
I would love to see your setup once you get the digital camera. It's nice to hear you are happy with your setup and it appears you have very nice tap water in your area.

For one good story like yours, unfortunately, there are probably more horror stories.

Keep up the good work or the luck! :D

Snailman
03/24/2002, 02:46 PM
What I have learned over the years is that a tank is a total system and there are many different total systems that will work. As long as they are balanced they seem to work. As far as using tap water, everyone's tap water is different. i have a friend that live 15 miles from me and his tap water is tank ready and ours is so full of stuff I call it the water from hell so we have an RO/DI.

asmodeus
03/24/2002, 02:55 PM
yeah I know my tap water here is PH of 6.0 and my freinds here in the same town is perfect and down the road from us the guys water is like 45 of this scale he uses... its funny how the waer tables are around here ...........in Canada