PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone owned a Magnavore and an Algae Free magnet cleaner???

nanoguy
03/23/2002, 01:25 AM
I'm in the market for a cleaning magnet for my 130 plexi tank (1/2" thick acrylic). I was thinking of picking up a magnavore VI or a Algae Free "Tiger Shark" (both rated for up to 3/4" thick glass/acrylic). Anyone here own a "Algae Free" cleaning magnet? The price difference between the two is $50 so I was thinking of going with the Tiger Shark and use that $50 savings on something else for my reef.

NanoReefer53
03/23/2002, 02:42 AM
just wondering....why do they cost so much ???

joezkool
03/23/2002, 03:12 AM
I got an awesome one, that turns corners real good, and has a coralline algae scraper add-on. $15.

Wilafur
03/23/2002, 03:58 AM
I have the Algae Free Hammerhead for my 100g acrylic, also 1/2". The thing about these magnets are that they are STRONG! Scratched the crap out of my tank because the sucker was so strong. Just be very very careful when you use it, I learned the hard way.

nanoguy
03/23/2002, 04:03 AM
Emperator...it scratched your tank even with the acrylic pad attachment?

Ermin
03/23/2002, 08:42 AM
I would assume the tank is not scratched from the acrylic pad, but from tiny snails, tube worm, coralline algae that attached to the pad overtime. If the magnet is removed after every cleaning this shouldn't happen. But it will be counter-productive to "dry-hand" cleaning the tank, since it have to be placed in everytime you want to clean.

zimmy
03/23/2002, 09:38 AM
I have the Hammerhead one and yes it is strong. I use it on my 55Ga. glass tank and it works great. I now have a few scratches on my glass (some deep) because of it though. Little pieces of substrate can get onto the working side of the magnet and scratch the hell out of the tank/acrylic. Extreme care is warranted especially when cleaning the hard to remove algae near the substrate. They work and are very convenient yet as with all things...
zimmy

jimmy n
03/23/2002, 10:02 AM
I have a magnavore IV (Not VI) for my 1/2" acrylic 140. I bought it because my tank is 30" deep.

I don't know why I didn't get a cleaning magnet sooner.

I think most people decide to get a stronger magnet feeling it will do a better job. My 100 gallon was not 1/2" acrylic and I had the magnet a few days before I switched tanks. It was difficult to move the magnet because it was too strong for the lesser thickness.

With a magnet that is too strong, I think you are setting yourself up for scratches.

Jim

JB NY
03/23/2002, 10:27 AM
I agree I have a hammerhead. I don't know what I would do without it. They're great!

Ironreef
03/23/2002, 02:36 PM
IMO/IME I use a strong mag but I use a thicker pad @ 1" . I buy a big pad cut it up and put it on the mag= makes it weaker but I trust the thick pad more. The thin one that comes with it is very think. I don't trust the velco= scratch. And replacements are easier and cheaper iMO. No to strong =1/2" hammerhead

npaden
03/23/2002, 02:39 PM
I've got the Great White from Algae Free. I'm using it on 3/4" glass and I can make the corners easily even with an extra wood trim piece on the corner. I would guess the Magnavores and Algae Frees use the same magnets just in different cases. I like the wood better than the black plastic with the shark on it. I got it for $125 at www.northcoastmarines.com

FWIW, Nathan