PDA

View Full Version : My Wrasse Jumped : _ (

CrazyLionfish
12/20/2005, 10:49 PM
My favorite fish - my male solar wrasse - that I was just about to get a female mate for, after having for 6 months, jumped today. The light had clicked off and I wanted to feed them (was a few minutes late) so I turned the light back on, went upstairs fed those fish, came down 2 minutes later and he was in the back completly dried up :( :( I don't know if he jumped out when the lights had originally turned off or before that or when I turned them back on. I'd think only 2 minutes later he wouldn't be that dead. Not to mention I just slipped on the floor and smacked my knee 5 minutes before this.

Not having a good day :( :( :(

CrazyLionfish
12/20/2005, 10:52 PM
Also, I have no clue how he jumped. I have eggcrate covering the whole tank and I can't imagine how he would fit through the eggcrate holes, hes about 1.5 times the width. I've heard this story many times, carpet surfing, first experience with it, not very happy :(

12/20/2005, 11:03 PM
Hey Carzylionfish long time no see!

Do you have a sump? Maybe he jumped out from there?

You have to find out where he jumped from before any of your other wrasses jump out-Sam

CrazyLionfish
12/20/2005, 11:08 PM
No sump. And I don't have any other wrasses, but was just about to get one this weekend, making me very weary of getting another. Don't want to lose another favorite fish :(

Chaotic Reefer4u
12/20/2005, 11:35 PM
i feel your pain bro, i have had a couple just dissapear on me also, learning day's later that they jumped out during the night and dried up in back of my tank, why do these fish jump out of aquariums?:(

12/21/2005, 01:03 AM
Dude!!!! A fish cannot just be outside your tank??

There is something wrong

Keep lookin, how long ago till u covered it? Maybe u just noticed the wrasse?

I dont understand these jumping fish!

CrazyLionfish
12/21/2005, 07:26 AM
I've heard they have mastered the art of jumping through small eggcrate holes :(

But!!! I have a solution!! So I'll be able to get another fairy wrasse!

Tell me how this sounds, if I take this very small holed black plastic grating thin sheet and taped/stapeled/glued it onto the eggcrate.

LargeAngels
12/21/2005, 08:45 AM
CrazyLionfish: That sucks. With jawfish and fairy wrasses I have resorted to glass/acrylic lids. All cutouts are tight fitting. I also put a cover on the back part of the overflow and put a strainer on the overflow tube. I've recovered one of my bluespotted jawfish in the overflow 3 times already. If you don't want a glass/acrylic cover you can try netting covering the eggcrate.