PDA

View Full Version : How long does RO water stay good for?

kevensquint
12/20/2005, 09:58 PM
Hi, my friend wants to keep a supply of RO water in a covered rubbermaid garbage pail, but he wants to know how long its good for. Also, how long is mixed salt water good for? thanks.

BeanAnimal
12/20/2005, 11:22 PM
The ro water is good as long as it does not get contaminated.... so if the lid is tight then it will be fine indefinetaly. If you add an airstone, you will be mixing in contaminants from the outside air.

Randy may have to answer the salt water question.... but I would say as long as it stays stirred up, it will stay good.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2005, 07:33 AM
I agree. RO water can be kept a long time. It will slowly begin to smell like plastic from the pail, but a little carbon may reduce that. I certainly would keep it for weeks to a few months.

Raw artificial salt water can also be kept a long time even if not stirrred, but not used aquarium salt water or NSW, as the organics in those will break down and become anaerobic if it is not stirred or aerated.

steve the plumb
12/21/2005, 04:45 PM
thanks randy that friend is me.I have been busy so I am not on as much.Is it better to add a power head to the salt water mix just to get some aggitation.The bins I am usig are a brute 20 gal container and a rubber maid 37 gal garbage pail.Both are plastic and I covered both.I drilled a small hole in both containers to let the ro drip into them.Should I cover the small hole.Its a tiny hole small enough to fit the air tubing.
when I am not using my ro to fill container.Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2005, 05:26 PM
Is it better to add a power head to the salt water mix just to get some aggitation.

I don't bother with mine, but it is hard to imagine how it could hurt.
The hole is no concern unless the nearby air is dirty somehow. I have mine in my furnace room and don't worry much.

steve the plumb
12/22/2005, 07:15 PM
ok the hole is like 1/8 or something I was just concerned about smells going in but its so small.I won't bother putting a powerhead in if it doesn't do anything.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/23/2005, 06:10 PM
That sounds good!

Happy reefing. :)