PDA

View Full Version : Re-use Chemi-pure???

Fish-nuts
10/11/2000, 12:09 PM
I have been using 4 10oz bags of chemi-pure for about 3 weeks now. I have heard recomendations that I should taper off the use of chemi-pure once the tank has cycled eg. alternate 2 bags at a time... I also heard it is possible to reactivate the carbon... is this true???

Tank is a 240 gal with 200lbs of LR in the tank, 50lbs of LR in the sump, PM bullet 3 skimmer.

DJREEF
10/11/2000, 12:32 PM
Yea, you can reactivate the carbon, but you have to bake it. I tried this once and it stunk the whole house up for days. I won't ever mess with that again, not given that quality carbon isn't all that expensive to replace.
The Chemipures I'm not sure about. The last few I've gotten have been mostly messy powdered carbon anyway. I think their quality control has been slipping, and I don't think I'll mess with them again.

DJ

JohnL
10/11/2000, 01:53 PM
Not to mention the fact that this method is not very effective. I think you need really high temps for this to work.

Originally posted by DJREEF
Yea, you can reactivate the carbon, but you have to bake it.

KASESQ
10/11/2000, 02:32 PM
The compound inside the bags is actually a mix of high quality carbon and weak ion exchange resins. Because it is a mixed bed, so to speak, you cannot recharge the resins. I have had great success with the ChemiPure bags with pretreating topoff water-Polyfilters work well too-but in saltwater they seem to only last about as long as you have had yours online. The carbon may still be good but I don't know your turbidity levels so cannot say for sure.