PDA

View Full Version : Acclimating Inverts or Corals??

freestone
12/20/2005, 02:53 PM
I plan to add a bulb anemone and/or soft coral. How do you acclimate them. Do you need to quarantine them first? My hospital tank has been used for copper treatments...isn't this harmful to inverts and corals? Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Scot.

LOTUS50GOD
12/20/2005, 02:57 PM
You normally do not quarintin corals.... Float the bag, and drip aclimate them over a period of time; as you would a fish.

Gools
12/20/2005, 03:17 PM
I quarantine all my corals for at least 1 day in a 10g tank, with just some small lighting, and powerhead, and heater. Just to make sure. With corals these days there are so many problems. Acro's have red bugs, softies can carry nudibranchs, and with this montipora nudibranch, popping up all the more lately, with the kind of $$$ in my tank I will watch all new corals for at least a day if not more, and make sure I have my magnifying glass and give it a good check through

freestone
12/20/2005, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6324976#post6324976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gools
I quarantine all my corals for at least 1 day in a 10g tank, with just some small lighting, and powerhead, and heater. Just to make sure. With corals these days there are so many problems. Acro's have red bugs, softies can carry nudibranchs, and with this montipora nudibranch, popping up all the more lately, with the kind of $$$ in my tank I will watch all new corals for at least a day if not more, and make sure I have my magnifying glass and give it a good check through

What should be done if you do find something on them? Any treatments?

thanks,
Scot

chucksta1
12/20/2005, 04:31 PM
Ask the store where you bought them, there are "dips" availible that will remove most parisites..
Just a thought..

Gools
12/20/2005, 04:56 PM
depending on what the problem is, there are all sorts of treatments. Red bugs you do interceptor, others you have diffrent dips for, or manual removal. Once you find the problem, you usually post here on RC and get lots of good answers. There are also things like the montipora nudibranch, that can become a huge problem, often wiping out the coral, and there are no cures for them, except manualy taking them off. Would hate to put it in my crowded tank, then have to try to remove them, or the coral.